Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 8, 2008, 5:06 AM   #1

I have recently got a new FZ28 and I'm a little worried that I might have a problem with it.

When I press the joystick button down it doesn't always work first time. Is this normal or should I get it replaced or repaired?

Thanks

dx90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2008, 8:45 AM   #2

I hate the joystick on my FZ18....if you figure it out please let me know how it works....
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 4:00 PM   #3

I adore the joystick although sometimes when I press down I don't get what I asked for. I think it's fairly specific on just how you press, straight in. I think it's wonderful being able to change ISO, focus, metering and photo size for that little extra close up at just the press of a button (or maybe 3 presses). I change these constantly and if I had to go through the menu like I do on my fz30 I loose lots of shots. Maybe I should have had mine fixed but I just work around it. I've got 230,000 clicks on it.

On the other hand I never use the joystick on my Canon 40D. Now that to me is useless. :?

Suzan

ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:22 AM   #4

dx90 wrote:
Quote:
I have recently got a new FZ28 and I'm a little worried that I might have a problem with it.

When I press the joystick button down it doesn't always work first time. Is this normal or should I get it replaced or repaired?

Thanks
That it serves more than one purpose, you need to be careful how you press it in. You need a good understanding as to how to press it to get access to what you want to do.

If you want to call up the quick menu, it has to be pressed straight in and held a little extra time before the quick menu appears. If you simply press in and release emmediately, the quick menu won't come up. If you press it in and let it slip to the left or right, you wind up moving the curser to the right or left-hand side of the screen to adjust exposure compensation or focus. It's also used to access the program shift option of changing the shutter speed/aperture combination after those settings appear and are closed in by a box on the screen, so there are a lot of things going on at the same timethat one device controls.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:19 AM   #5

We had similar problems with our eval unit. There is a note about this issue in our Conclusion.

billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 12:24 AM   #6

Greg,

With more than 200,000 clicks on my camera I can still learn. Press and hold for 1 or 2 seconds and the joystick comes up with the menu like options all the time. Thanks, what a great tip. I knew how to get to all the rest of the options but never realized if I was in a hurry I was defeating my own purpose. Thank you so very much.

Suzan

ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 7:07 PM   #7

Yesterday I tested the Z28 at the local Fry's. Mainly I was concerned about reports of possible too small a viewfinder. (Note: Viewfinder is smallish, but I could live with it.)

I remembered this post about the joystick so I paid special attention to its operation. It worked very well. Very smooth and tactile. Did not need much pressure when pushing straight in. So I have to conclude that you have a unit that is out of tolerance for joystick operation.

sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 3:11 PM   #8

I've had a few days messing about with the joystick and can now report that I can successfully press the joystick straight on and get it to work first time every time, well almost every time.
I found it very hard to get it just right, but with a little practice I have it off to a fine art now.

Thanks all for your help.
dx90 is offline   Reply With Quote