Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 15, 2003, 7:18 PM   #1

Default Reviewing the reviewers

Consumer Search rated digital cameras in April 2003. While there is nothing special about their camera ratings, the interesting part is their rating of reviews.

The top tier, according to their credibility rating includes reviews and articles from Imaging Resource, Megapixel.net, Digital Photography Review and, obviously, Steve's Digicams. The second tier includes reviews and articles from Digital Camera Resource Page and Popular Photography.

I would really like to read a review of the DMC-FZ10 on the abovementioned sites (my personal preferences bing Imaging-Resource, DPReview and Steve's, in no particular order).

Unfortunately, only 3 sites reviewed the FZ1 in English (Steve's, DCRP and Megapixel.net). Let's hope that the FZ10 will get more exposure!
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2003, 10:57 AM   #2

I happened across this post while looking for LC1 info, and thought I'd chime in (at the risk of looking like I'm tooting my own horn ...)

There is, in fact, at least one other English-language review of the FZ-1 ... I happen to know because I wrote it. It's on CNET at this location:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_Lu...-20485306.html

CNET just asked me to review the FZ10 as well, and they said they'd be receiving it in the next few days (approx. 11/14 or so.) I probably won't review it, but someone else certainly will, and I'd give a rough guess that the review will be published in six to eight weeks, barring complications. Hope that's useful info.
eamonhickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 1:43 PM   #3

That's all very interesting information about reviewers and inparticular the review you expect in 6 to 8 weeks.

Speaking for myself with a pre-order outstanding; in 6 to 8 weeks I would hope to have already taken 6 to 8 hundred photos with my FZ10.

However, thanks for the informative post.
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 11:38 PM   #4

Why a six to eight week turn around on a review? I tell you what -- have CNET send me the camera, and I'll have a review ready in a day or two!
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 12:00 PM   #5

It does seem like a long time, I know. But it's the total time through the process -- not just the reviewer's time.

In case you're curious (I wouldn't blame you if you weren't), I'd probably spend about 3 days on a camera like the FZ10 -- shooting and writing. (But I have six other cameras sitting on my desk waiting to be reviewed right now, so I wouldn't start right away on it.) Then there's the editing process -- CNET's editors double-check every fact, claim, and conclusion in the review, plus do their own image quality and performance testing -- and then it goes to production, where the text and (limited number) of photos are readied for publication. Both the editors and the production people are handling dozens of other reviews simultaneously, so it takes a little time.

But CNET wants to get the FZ-10 review up soon -- they asked me if I could have copy to them before Thanksgiving, which I could not promise, so that's why we agreed that they should assign it to someone else. Cameras that the editors think will draw a lot of interest get moved up the priority ladder, and the FZ-10 appears to be one of those.

Probably more than anyone wants to know.
eamonhickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 12:31 PM   #6

Actually, that's very interesting and definitely information *I* would like to know. I think it's a bit much of a process though -- sad that it's such a legal/liability thing when CNET isn't doing much more than offering a professional opinion on something. Oh, well. Such is life in the USA.

I guess this is a very good reason for Panasonic and other companies to get pre-release cameras out to the various review sites, or else initial sales are probably going to be slow with no one knowing anything about the camera before they have to plunk down the cake to see for themselves.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 1:42 PM   #7

Furthermore, the reviewers apparently have to return the fz10 rather quickly. Jeff Keller at dcresouse, who got the fz10 on Friday, only has a week with it before he has to return it. What if he wants to go back and check one of his conclusions and no longer has the camera? Maybe this is just another instance of a Panasonic boondoggle.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6670866
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 10:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamonhickey
CNET's editors double-check every fact, claim, and conclusion in the review, plus do their own image quality and performance testing
Unfortunately, we can still find "gems" such as this on C|Net's site :-(
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote