Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 12, 2008, 2:49 PM   #1

Shot these RAW and made white balance/color adjustments as well as fiddling with the tone curvein Silkypix to try and reproduce these as close as I could to what I saw..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2008, 9:15 PM   #2

Hi Greg,

Great shots as usual!

Something a little off subject. What do you need to attach the Panasonic LW-55 WA lens to the FZ50? On my Canon there is a thin ring at the end of the lens that twists off, about 1/4 of a turn, and then accessory lens can be attached back in it's place with a twist. How does it work on the 50?

How much trouble and time does it take to attach that lens? You know, ohh, perfect shot for wide angle, open bag, grab,grab, grab...

Finally, does the lens still zoom with the WA attached?

I'm asking because I've found a 50 for sale with the Raynox .66 WA lens which claims 300 lines of resolution, and you've already told me that that particular lens isn't very good. So I'm considering getting the camera and a Panny lens, which your pictures show, works great. That, or the 50 and an LX3. Maybe it would be quicker just to whip out camera #2!

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Scrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 1:00 AM   #3

Scrench wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg,

Great shots as usual!

Something a little off subject. What do you need to attach the Panasonic LW-55 WA lens to the FZ50? On my Canon there is a thin ring at the end of the lens that twists off, about 1/4 of a turn, and then accessory lens can be attached back in it's place with a twist. How does it work on the 50?
Quote:
The DMW-LW55 just screws on to the FZ50's front threads with no additional adaptors needed.

How much trouble and time does it take to attach that lens? You know, ohh, perfect shot for wide angle, open bag, grab,grab, grab...
Quote:
It's not bad. You just have to be a little careful screwing it on as the rear element of the DMW-LW55 sits very close to the front element of the FZ50's lens.

Finally, does the lens still zoom with the WA attached?
Quote:
It does, but I don't recommend it. The wide lens was designed to be used with the FZ50 zoomed to the 35mm end. Once you start zooming in, you'll start losing definition pretty quick. I just considerthe DMW-LW55as a 24mm prime for when the included 35mm setting is not wide enough.

I'm asking because I've found a 50 for sale with the Raynox .66 WA lens which claims 300 lines of resolution, and you've already told me that that particular lens isn't very good. So I'm considering getting the camera and a Panny lens, which your pictures show, works great. That, or the 50 and an LX3. Maybe it would be quicker just to whip out camera #2!
Quote:
THAT'S the one I eventually want....the LX3...with the dedicated 19mm wide lens! It would go great as a second camera with either the FZ50 or FZ28.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 7:26 PM   #4

Whoa! 19mm! Sounds like you'd have to crank up your PTlens skills. I know you used it with the 24mm lens. Do you think the 24 to 19 vignetting would be roughly equivalent to the 35 to 24 on your FZ50, or would it be more uncontrollable?

You know, I haven't considered a WA on the LX3, but if 24mm is much better than 35mm, (at least I think so), than why NOT 19mm instead of 24mm? Do you happen to know where any photos are that were taken at 19mm? Love to see 'em.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:29 PM   #5

Old Nov 15, 2008, 12:30 AM   #6

Scrench wrote:
Quote:
Whoa! 19mm! Sounds like you'd have to crank up your PTlens skills. I know you used it with the 24mm lens. Do you think the 24 to 19 vignetting would be roughly equivalent to the 35 to 24 on your FZ50, or would it be more uncontrollable?

You know, I haven't considered a WA on the LX3, but if 24mm is much better than 35mm, (at least I think so), than why NOT 19mm instead of 24mm? Do you happen to know where any photos are that were taken at 19mm? Love to see 'em.
The adaptor for the LX3 looks to be a pretty darn good lens. Look at these..and it's actually 18mm, not 19mm...

http://norpheus.smugmug.com/gallery/...80251171_6TheP
Old Nov 15, 2008, 11:50 PM   #7

Lovely shots. That first definitely has a Monet quality about it.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 6:56 PM   #8

Greg,

Off topic again, sorry, but you're the only person I know who can probably answer this question.

As you can tell by now, I'm hot on the trail of an FZ50, having decided that's the camera for me. I've found one with an Olympus WCON 0.7 wide angle and a Olympus TCON 1.7 telphoto lens. Are these any good and how would the WA compare to the Panasonic LW55 quality-wise? I decided not to go for the one with the Raynox WA.

Thanks For Your Knowledge,

Scrench
Old Nov 19, 2008, 1:16 AM   #9

The TCON17 is good. It's the one I use when I want to lengthen the reach without reducing the resolution and using the extended optical zoom.

The Olympus wide angle is a popular model. I've not used it so I can't really comment on image quality vs. the DMW-LW55, but I imagine it's a good lens to use with the FZ50 based on a lot of users over on the Panasonic page at DPReview who use it.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 1:14 AM   #10

Great images! I just got my FZ28 today. Can't wait to start shooting with it!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote