Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 16, 2003, 12:53 PM   #1

Default does IS work for addon lens on fz10?

does IS work for the official wide angle and tele converters?
any one knows?
nickfanmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2003, 3:52 PM   #2

OIS will work with add on lens, BUT if you increase the zoom, you also increase the jitter factor. At some point the jitter will exceed the amount of correction that OIS can provide.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 4:00 PM   #3

will there be an option in menu to tell fz10 that I am using 1.5x converter, and the OIS will take this into account and adjust OIS accordingly?
Old Oct 17, 2003, 8:27 AM   #4

OIS only has a fixed amout of correction it can offer. No such setting. If a setting that increased the correction was available, why would you want to run OIS at some fractional amout of correction?

Optical OIS physically moves an internal lens element to shift the image on the CCD face. In this case, we only have a defined amount of physical displacement the element can move.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 9:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
OIS only has a fixed amout of correction it can offer. No such setting. If a setting that increased the correction was available, why would you want to run OIS at some fractional amout of correction?

Optical OIS physically moves an internal lens element to shift the image on the CCD face. In this case, we only have a defined amount of physical displacement the element can move.
So, if I understand you correctly, the OIS is ignorant of the focal length. That is, it will produce the same level of physical correction regardless of whether the lens is at 6mm or 72mm.

Am I right?
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 10:01 AM   #6

Quote:
So, if I understand you correctly, the OIS is ignorant of the focal length. That is, it will produce the same level of physical correction regardless of whether the lens is at 6mm or 72mm.

Am I right?
of course not, if you are right, the OIS won't work.

What bob said is that physical displacement of OIS elements seems to reach the limit at 420nm where max displacement is required. however, in the case of wide angle converter, OIS should be able to handle the displacement, right. ok, from my understanding, panasonic corporation either has not put the converters in mind during design or they are still working on that, maybe still doing calibration for the OIS when the converters are on. IMO, there should still be room for larger displacement of OIS, that could compensate for some of the shake at 630mm, although mot fully. so what required is some firmware imprementations, eg make an option in the menu for wide angle and tele converter selections which will tell the OIS to use compensation data calibrated from using the converters. If what I think is not true, the converters are far too expensive to buy.
nick
Old Oct 17, 2003, 11:27 AM   #7

What bob said is that physical displacement of OIS elements seems to reach the limit at 420nm where max displacement is required.
<RESPONSE>
Not exactly. These are not the actual specs (don't have them yet) but let me use some hypothetical numbers. Let's say the OIS can provide +/- 5 degrees of correction. Lets assume that in the wide view, 1/4" of physical camera movement will equal "x" degrees. As you zoom in, any movement will be exagerated. At full tele, the correlation of camera movement to visible jitter will be near 12X.

Adding a tele adapter will further increase the zoom and the visible jitter will become more severe. What I'm trying to say is that as the jitter increases, at some point it will exceed the amount of correction that the FZ10's OIS can offer.

I would suspect that a conversion lens to extend the wide view would work OK.

however, in the case of wide angle converter, OIS should be able to handle the displacement, right. ok, from my understanding, panasonic corporation either has not put the converters in mind during design
<RESPOSE>
I would have to agree. With a 12:1 lens, we are already offering you 3-4x more than most cameras. If at some point we increased the lens to 18X (NO PLANS!) would you still want to use a converter?

or they are still working on that, maybe still doing calibration for the OIS when the converters are on.

<RESPONSE>
Nope - no plans..

IMO, there should still be room for larger displacement of OIS, that could compensate for some of the shake at 630mm, although mot fully.
You will have compensation, but since the amout of correction is fixed, the visible stabilization will appear to be less.

so what required is some firmware imprementations, eg make an option in the menu for wide angle and tele converter selections which will tell the OIS to use compensation data calibrated from using the converters. If what I think is not true, the converters are far too expensive to buy.
<RESPONSE>
Based on my knowledge and conversations, we would not be making any firmware changes to accomodate third party devices, nor to add features.

nick
Old Oct 17, 2003, 12:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Not exactly. These are not the actual specs (don't have them yet) but let me use some hypothetical numbers. Let's say the OIS can provide +/- 5 degrees of correction. Lets assume that in the wide view, 1/4" of physical camera movement will equal "x" degrees. As you zoom in, any movement will be exagerated. At full tele, the correlation of camera movement to visible jitter will be near 12X.
But will the OIS provide the same degree of correction (for the same jitter) at wide angle and telephoto or does it have any indication on the current focal distance and adjust accordingly?

Quote:
Based on my knowledge and conversations, we would not be making any firmware changes to accomodate third party devices, nor to add features.
So, is it correct to assume that you only intend to offer firmware upgrades to fix "bugs" that may be discovered and deemed important enough?

Personally, I think that it is an unfortunate decision as other companies do provide added functionality via firmware upgrades (for example, PictBridge support for Canon cameras).
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 12:58 PM   #9

Quote:
You will have compensation, but since the amout of correction is fixed, the visible stabilization will appear to be less.
what I want to know is:
with your official 1.5x tele at 630mm, do I get compensation equal to that at 420mm or slightly more?

Quote:
I was not talking about 3rd party addons, they are your original 0.8x and 1.5x converters which are as expensive as the camera itself. Didn't panasonic corp plan to extend the OIS to their range by doing additional calibrations? in these case, I hope you can reflect our expectation to decision makers of your company. This additional function will boost the sales of your addons. so your company will gain at the end.