Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:01 AM   #1

How strange - very few topics about LX3 ?
deejjjaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2008, 1:38 AM   #2

You are looking on the wrongsite if you want a lot of threads about the LX3. Go to the Panasonic forum at DPReview and read to your heart's content. Other than the new G1, the LX3 is about the hotest topic there..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 2:04 AM   #3

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
You are looking on the wrongsite if you want a lot of threads about the LX3. Go to the Panasonic forum at DPReview and read to your heart's content. Other than the new G1, the LX3 is about the hotest topic there..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033
I know - but I was hoping to find a some alternative (I hate DPReview UI)... apparently it is not the case.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 2:04 AM   #4

dup
Old Nov 18, 2008, 9:34 AM   #5

deejjjaaaa wrote:
Quote:
I know - but I was hoping to find a some alternative (I hate DPReview UI)... apparently it is not the case.
To be honest, I don't know what's happened to this sites' pastPanasonic contributors. You can tell from the sheer numbers, this has been a much visited and commented on forum, but recent traffic has been very sparse for any model.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 1:31 AM   #6

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
deejjjaaaa wrote:
Quote:
To be honest, I don't know what's happened to this sites' pastPanasonic contributors. You can tell from the sheer numbers, this has been a much visited and commented on forum, but recent traffic has been very sparse for any model.
It's a vicious cycle. The less people post and comment, the less people feel like spending time at the forum, consequently the less traffic there is, which in turn translates in less participation...you get the picture. Many people over at least the past year have complained about the lack of feedback/comments on posts here at Steve's. There were discussions about the forum's format, etc. I personally love it here. The forums are friendly, it's easy for anyone to post pictures (no need to have Flickr, Pbase or whatever else hosting your images), there is a great variety of forums covering camera brands and types, subjects, etc. I'm sure that many people share the same thoughts. Unfortunately, because the participation level is so much greater at dpreview, one does get a lot more information over there. As Deejjjaaaa mentioned, there is a huge comotion over the LX3 over there and close to zero over here. So, if one is interested in the LX3, what does one do? Go over there.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:24 AM   #7

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
deejjjaaaa wrote:
Quote:
It's a vicious cycle. The less people post and comment, the less people feel like spending time at the forum, consequently the less traffic there is, which in turn translates in less participation...you get the picture. Many people over at least the past year have complained about the lack of feedback/comments on posts here at Steve's. There were discussions about the forum's format, etc. I personally love it here. The forums are friendly, it's easy for anyone to post pictures (no need to have Flickr, Pbase or whatever else hosting your images), there is a great variety of forums covering camera brands and types, subjects, etc. I'm sure that many people share the same thoughts. Unfortunately, because the participation level is so much greater at dpreview, one does get a lot more information over there. As Deejjjaaaa mentioned, there is a huge comotion over the LX3 over there and close to zero over here. So, if one is interested in the LX3, what does one do? Go over there.
unfortunately dpreview does not have separate sections for Panasonic dSLR/mciro43 and Panasonic P&S (at least so far) and also the forum as usual flooded w/ "look at my picture(s)" topics
Old Nov 20, 2008, 2:02 PM   #8

Let's not mention the hostility, arrogance and attitude problem of many participants! I don't have a problem with all the pictures posted. In fact, I think they help people making choices because they can be an indication of camera's capabilities.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 4:10 PM   #9

Participation has vitually come to a grinding halt here as I was once an avid poster here when the FZ cameras were the rage.

Panasonic has produced many cameras since and I personally am underwhelmed at what their offerings have been since then. The FX01 was a great pocket camera that was posted by a once long time poster here. But the offerings were a mixed bag at best in my opinion. I have seen great images captured by many different models but not much better than what I already have.

The LX3 looks to be a great camera that many people will never come to realize. It is definitely a model that brought my attention back to Panasonic. The moderate zoom is a bit on the downside but being 2.0-2.8 is definitely a plus. It has many features in file recording that is usually enjoyed by dSLR users. Its RAW file format can only be processed properly by the Silkypix RAW converter. Barrel distortion is corrected in-camera which is a really cool feature for jpeg and matched by Silkypix Raw converter. Any use of another RAW converter will show the true distortion the lens has captured by the camera without the correction feature.

The use of flash with a hotshoe is a nice feature which is something that has been missing on alot of Panasonics offerings. The flash available is basically a redbadged Olympus flash.

If I so happen to decide on getting this camera I will be sure to make posts on what this model can do.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 4:50 PM   #10

A few discussion forums here at Steve's still have a decent number of participants but overall, participation has significantly declined.

My very fist Panasonic camera was the 3 MP 3x optical zoom LC33. A great little camera to say the least. However, I upgraded to the LC80 (5 MP) and I was disappointed with IQ. Then I moved on to the LZ2 (the lens did not have the Leica name on it), which was pretty decent. Next I had the FZ20 for its f2.8 Leica lens across the entire zoom range. Now, that was one good lens. Unfortunately, the camera had many flaws, from poor LCD accuracy to bad EVF to lots and lots of noise at any ISO greater than 200, to producing a bluish color cast in shaded areas...and the list goes on and on. Sold that one and eventually bought the FZ18. Great camera when compared to most long zoom cameras out there. Now I have the FZ28 (just got it less than a week ago). We'll see how it goes. But, I've been very interested in the LX3 for it's quality and practicality but I won't get one until I see prices come down significantly (perhaps when the LX4 is announced aome time next year).