Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 16, 2003, 3:57 PM   #1

Default suggestion for panasonic about histogram

I am a minolta D7Hi user. I am very disappointed with the histigram. the histogram shows the whole distribution in such a way that sometimes the high-light info is hidden (rounded off) in the hills of midtone. this renders the histogram useless at circumstences that there are lots of midtone but also with important high-lights. a better approach is to zoom (truncate the peaks) the histogram to show the info at high-light. an even better approach is to have high-light warning in the picture.
nick
nickfanmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2003, 8:38 AM   #2

Since I have't used your camera it would be very difficult for me to identify with the operation you describe. I've used it on the FZ10 and found it to be useful in most cases.

However, in some cases what is "properly exposed" may not be the "look" you want. Case in point. The other morning as the sun was rising the sky was a painted in some vivid pinks, reds, and purple colors. While the histogram said it was exposed properly, slightly underexposing it really made the sky look closer to the way I wanted it to look.

Some times I prefer using my eye to adjust the exposure.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2003, 10:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Since I have't used your camera it would be very difficult for me to identify with the operation you describe. I've used it on the FZ10 and found it to be useful in most cases.
the problem I described is here:
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/...eid=1065385891
what I mean is that the LCD is small and low resolution (I mean for all DCs/ DSLRs), it is not enough to display the whole distribution of lightness correctly when there is a large area of equal lightness (a histogram like a steep mountain). The high-light region will be rounded off to zero or hidden. This will cause high-light clipping if I try to exposure to the right of the histogram to get best S/N ratio. The more reasonable way is to truncate the steep mountains to some extends to put more emphasis on high-light reagion. I may not describe clearly. The simpler way of making my suggestion would be "display the hisogram in DC in the same way as that in photoshop, ie zoomed histogram". so is the shape of histogram of high contrasting scene displayed in fz10 similar to that displayed in photoshop on PC?
nickfanmn is offline   Reply With Quote