Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 29, 2008, 2:45 AM   #1

I tried using the forum search but even searching for FZ18 turns up no results, which isn't right as I can see posts on the camera! Maybe I wasn't using it right...

Anyhoo, I have read that others have found that FZ18 shots taken above ISO 200 or 400 get very noisy and that there is a "noise +2" fix perhaps? I currently keep mine set at 100 to avoid this but of course it's restrictive when shooting in anything other than good light.

All in all I love this camera, I just wish the higher sensitivity ISO settings were better and that it would go better than F8!
bomberesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2008, 5:17 AM   #2

OK, fiddling around I fund the "noise reduction" setting in the menu so now I know what that means, but the results are still below par IMO. any other advice?

Perhaps a firmware update? Suppose I could go look for that myself though :-P
bomberesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2008, 8:17 AM   #3

I dislike the FZ 18 because IMHO, it has way too much Noise Reduction........A properly exposed photo goes a long way to limiting the noise....my suggestion is for you to shoot in a auto mode (auto ,IA or program)with auto ISO turned on and when you see how pleasant the photos are, you can move to more manual settings,(if needed)at least you will have something to judge the photos by.....do not view the photos any larger than full screen on your monitor and noise should not be a huge problem. If you search for noise you are sure to find it especially on small sensor cameras......until people tell Panasonic to quit shoving more pixels on the sensors noise and NR will be a problem.,
genece is offline   Reply With Quote