Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:07 AM   #1

I took these pictures last weekend as we (my family and I) went out for dinner and window shopping at Santana Row in San Jose.
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:07 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:08 AM   #3

Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:11 AM   #4

Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:11 AM   #5

Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:13 AM   #6

Attached Images

Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:02 AM   #7

Hello Tullio! )

These are great night-shots that show what a good cameraman can do with a great camera!I think that B&W suits these pictures very well. I keep looking at them over and over, since I am planning of upgrading to a new camera in the near future (before X-Mas) and the Panny FZ28 is my favorite - so far....

Would you mind sharing with usof HOWyou went about these pictures? I mean, did you use iAutomatic-settingsor P with manual exposure-compensation, or did you use the special night-scenery on the dial withcreative-setting or what. Also what did you do about ISO-settings. Used max. Iso or Auto-Iso?

Keep on showing your pictures - they are greatly appreciated!

P.S.: If you want to know - #3 is my favorite - I can almost sens a Parisian atmosphere.

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:43 PM   #8

Thanks very much, Walter. These images were taken with the camera in P mode, ISO 800 and some picture adj. (sat +1, Cont +1, NR 0 and sharp+2) and Ev +0.3. I converted them to B&W in Lightzone. The two other posts I recently placed here, I had the FZ28 set to B&W. I think that works better in terms of noise control and I don't have to spend any time doing the conversion. I never use any "i" setting. It may be convenient but I don't like how the camera performs with those settings. I find that night photography can be tricky in terms of camera settings so by having it in P mode, I know it will try to select the best A/S combination based on the available light.

I think the FZ28 is a capable camera. The Leica lens is excellent and having it start at 27mm is a big plus. I am now contemplating the LX3. It's very small and light and IQ is simply superb. So, with the FZ28 for long reach and the LX3 for everything else (portrait, landscape, indoor, ...).

Old Dec 5, 2008, 4:24 PM   #9

Hi Tullio-

That is a great set of photos! I am really pleased to hear that you are enjoying your FZ-28. Adding the LX-3 to it would be a small but powerful combination. Does that mean that the E-520 goes?

I for one, am finding that I can just about do anything with a smaller and much more converient camera like the FZ-28 rather than a big bulky DSLR. I did give some consideration to the E-420, as the body only price is hovering around $350.00, but it not really much smaller size-wise than the E-520.

I would love to hear your thoughts, as I really respect your opinion.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 4:41 PM   #10

Thanks, Sarah. A couple of months ago I went on a trip to the California Caverns and took the E520 with the two kit lenses (well, one is the 14-54mm). During the very first tour, I had the 14-54 mounted on the camera but needed more reach because some of the formations were a bit too far from the pathway we were taking. I can tell you that the process to swap the two lenses was not an easy one in those conditions. As a result, I chose to keep the WA mounted at all times. That experience made me buy the FZ28. I am getting to a point where I use my E520 less and less each day and since I can not just keep adding cameras to my collection (besides the fact that it does not make much sense to do that), chances are that the E520 and all the Zuiko lenses will go.