Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 11, 2008, 9:15 PM   #1

Hi all,

I'm new to this group, and a longtime FZ20 owner. I'm considering "upgrading" -- if that's what it is -- to the FZ28. Most of the reviews have been great, but this one review bugs me. I hope this link works:

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/inde...;pid;6538;pt;1

An except:

"But our test shots were a little less vibrant, and not as sharp, as we would have liked them to be. In fact, most of our test images looked soft and under-saturated, even in bright sunlight. We also couldn't get a decent bokeh background effect when focusing on foreground images; the background did become blurry, but it was still too recognisable."

I can understand that part of image quality is subjective, but this seems pretty definite. In a recent thread with photos posted by rontth, I can't help but notice that the Sony H2 photos do seem more vibrant than the FZ28 photos.

How do the readers of this forum, most of whom love the FZ28, explain this review?

Thanks!

elliotm00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:24 PM   #2

I'm no authority on photography to comment on reviews. Having owned an FZ3 for 4 years and upgraded to FZ28 just now, I can say I am very impressedwith the few shots I have got so far. Yes, reviews may be subjective, but I think more reviews are in favour. I went for FZ3 on Steve's review and I was more than happy. Naturaly, I have gone by Steve's review for FZ28 too.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:49 AM   #3

Hi Elliot00,

Thanks for viewing my post.It'sdifficult to say that FZ28 being less vibrant than Sony H2 because the photos I have taken are from different place and lightcondition.

I was a bit disappointed when I went to Beijing because most of the days are hazy and dull and could have affected the colour.

Whether the FZ28 is a good camera I think it's better you judge thephoto and make your own conclusion rather than purely on review. I am just an armature. I usedmy camera mostly on my travel trips so after this Beijing trip, the camera will be in the dry cabinet for some time. The camera is just a tool but it's the user who is going to makethat great difference. I have seem photos from DSLR which looks no better than a P&S camera while in the hands of an expert it's like " Wow, how did he manage to take such a nice photos"
rontth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 3:21 AM   #4

rontth wrote:
Quote:
The camera is just a tool but it's the user who is going to makethat great difference.
Very true, and I think it is precisely why Elliot is askingthat question. Not all of us are great photographers, and we need a GOOD tool to make whatever we shoot a little better. I do not know about other countries, but here we do not get the option to testa camerafirst with a few trial shotsbefore taking it, andso the need to decide on a good camera before buying it. In such a situation, reviews play a major role inthe decision making. I think the best way for Elliot will be to read as many reviews of FZ28and see as many photos out ofthe cameraas possible from this and other forums and also Pana's own sample photos and then decide onbuying, rather than get stuck by the (relatively sparse) negative feedback.

As for that particular review, I feelwhat they have said in positive about the camera far outweighs the one remark that has been highlighted.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 2:52 PM   #5

The FZ-28's menus allow for much in-camera customization of how the images will look. Sharpness, contrast, saturation, noise-reduction, etc, can all be set from the menus.

I'm not sure how the reviewer shot his pictures or what he wanted to see, but rest assured you can probably get whatever you are after just by fiddling with the in-camera settings in "P" (Program) mode.

Many of us set the menus to do as little in-camera tweaking as possible, however. For example, it's easy to post-process a little extra contrast once the image is out of the camera, but it's not easy to make a too-contrasty image less contrasty. You can't put back intermediate tonal information that's not there. Consequently, I have set my camera in Program mode to produce a slightly less contrasty image than the default.

Read the discussion of FZ-28 menus by an FZ-28 owner here:
http://www.tlc-systems.com/

Once you get out of IA mode, It becomes a very complex and powerful camera. It can be made to do nearly whatever you want, provided you know what that is. However you'll need to spend some time with it

Even out of the box, though, it takes fine images. Some aspects of image "quality", as other commenters in this thread have noted, are very subjective.

rfdandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 8:53 PM   #6

Thanks for your responses so far. That link to http://www.tlc-systems.com/ is great!
elliotm00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 2:57 AM   #7

elliotm00 wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

I'm new to this group, and a longtime FZ20 owner. I'm considering "upgrading" -- if that's what it is -- to the FZ28. Most of the reviews have been great, but this one review bugs me. I hope this link works:

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/inde...;pid;6538;pt;1

An except:

"But our test shots were a little less vibrant, and not as sharp, as we would have liked them to be. In fact, most of our test images looked soft and under-saturated, even in bright sunlight. We also couldn't get a decent bokeh background effect when focusing on foreground images; the background did become blurry, but it was still too recognisable."
Quote:
Not really sure what these guys are expecting, being the sensor in this camera is so small. You literally need to be focusing close to the nearest distance, and at or nearthe longest focal length, to have any realblur at all. Otherwise, yes, the wide depth of field makesbeing able to create background blur virtually impossible, which is the same for any camera like this.Comments like this make me wonder if these guys know what they are doing.
Quote:
Color vibrancy, like sharpening,can be turned up if you don't like the default settings. I guess they couldn't figure out how to do that.

I can understand that part of image quality is subjective, but this seems pretty definite.
Quote:
You don't believe everything you see on the internet, do you?
Quote:
In a recent thread with photos posted by rontth, I can't help but notice that the Sony H2 photos do seem more vibrant than the FZ28 photos.
Quote:
Again, the Sony's default settings are probably set to produce more vibrant colors, or rontth may have either post processed the files or made adjustments to the camera settings to get that color. Did you ask him?. Figure out how to make adjustments to the FZ28's default setup and you'll probably wind up with colors you'd be pleased with.
Quote:
How do the readers of this forum, most of whom love the FZ28, explain this review?
Quote:
I ignore it, because the sites who's reviews I read, namely DPReview, have not yet reviewed the camera. More importantly, I've actually used the FZ28 and like it. There are a lot of wannabe *reviewers* out there who'd be better off doing something more constructive with their time.I have no problems with the colors and sharpnessthe camera can produce and yes, I do post process my images on the computer.
well....look here, you CAN get image blur with the FZ28..

I have no problem with this kind ofcolor and sharpness with these files. I have no idea what the *experts* on that review site were doing..

I've even taken it to an NHL game..

And college football games and been pleased with the results..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote