Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:12 PM   #1

I am a novice photographer and recently I purchased a Canon A590IS and I found it to an excellent camera for the price I paid for.
I may be travelling soon I would like to buy anonther camera to complement this one. One camera comes to mind is the FZ28. While reading a no. of reviews on this camera I came across a comparison between FZ28 and SX10 at this website.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa..._results.shtml

By looking at the images from these 2 cameras, it seems the SX10 has an edge over the FZ28 in terms of image reproduction. As I don't under a lot of terms used in the article, can any comment on the accuracy of their comments? Is it a fair comparison?

To the comparison more complicated, in other sites I came across some users prefer FZ28 to SX10.
ttan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:16 PM   #2

Is there such a thing as "Fair" and "unbiased" on the internet? I don't at this point thinkI'm going to let myself start to believe it.

Don't be fooled...ANYONE who posts onehas a point to make in doing "comparisons", "tests", "this vs. that", whatever you want to call it. ANY camera can be set up to produce equally good results. If it isn't sharp enough at the default setting, you turn sharpening up in-camera or sharpen later on the computer. Colors not bold enough? Turn the settings up in-cameraor fix them later on the computer. Images too flat with not enough contrast? They all have that setting that can be adjusted too. The last thing anyone needs to base a decision on are results at default settings of two cameras made by different makers. I seriously doubt default parameters are the optimum setting on ANY camera.

Look at the features and ergonomics,buy the camera you want that has those features that are important to you, figure out the settings that give you the results you want, and go take pictures.

There are enough differences in features that you can decide which is more or less important to you vs. someone else..

1. The SX10-'s lens is an f2.8-5.6 in speed. The FZ28's is f2.8-4.4.

2. The Canon does not offer RAW capture. The Panasonic FZ28 does.

3. The Canon offers a hot shoe with the ability to use Canon's TTL flashes, although not in all the same ways you can use those same units with their DSLR's, but any hot shoeability is better than the FZ28, which has no hot shoe at all. Panasonic is crazy for continuing to leave this feature off this model line.

4. I really like the SX10's flip out LCD. The Panasonic FZ28 doesn't have that. I can't tell in looking at images of the SX10 if the finder frame is a hard plastic or not, but I know the FZ28's is a hard plastic and I'm very careful when using the EVF because my girlfriend scratched her glasses very badly with an FZ28 while we were in Paris back in 2007. If the SX10's finder frame is a soft rubber substance, that's another plus for me in favor of the Canon.

Hopefully Canon has done a better job with the SX10 in implementing the 28mm wide angle lens. Their 28mmwide angles I've seen to date (SD800/870) have had a lot of awful distortion compared to Panasonic, which does a lot of in-camera correcting and gives pretty much a fully corrected image right out of the camera.

Which is *better*? I have no idea and bet they can be set up to give EXACTLY the same results. I use a DSLR if there's a subjectwhere I want or needthe very best image quality available to me. I have an FZ28 but I only use it when I'm in a situation where I cannot use or take my DSLR.

I prefer the FZ28 for the RAW capability. If this were to be my only camera.....I might very well choose the SX10 for the option of being able to use a flash which would give it a huge advantage over the FZ28 in terms of best possible lighting options.

Movies? Forget it....I don't care. Don't shoot movies, don't want movies. If I did, I'd buy a movie camera.

These two are close enough that all you need to know may simply be how they feel when you hold them. I'd try to find a local store that has both and try them out. That might make your decision very easy.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:29 PM   #3

Thanks Greg,

your response contains many useful info/advice, I will reread your posting and I will ask questions(if any) later.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:19 PM   #4

Greg-

It is clear, at least to me, that the Panasonic FZ-28 has a much better capture ability and IQ than the Canon SX-110. Please compare this FZ-28 photo for IQ and Character Mood against the Canon SX-110. Thenks, Greg!

This FZ-28 photo has almost DSLR quality to it.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:17 AM   #5

I've definitely been happy with my FZ28. Of the differences I listed above, and for what I use it for, numbers 1 and 2 were more important to me.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:54 AM   #6

I suppose buying a superzoom like FZ28 or Sx10 is convenient when travelling because of its light weight.

In general DSLR is normally superior in terms of image quality(IQ), which model do you think will give me superior IQ to the FZ28 or SX10?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 8:39 AM   #7
Super Moderator

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Greg-

It is clear, at least to me, that the Panasonic FZ-28 has a much better capture ability and IQ than the Canon SX-110. Please compare this FZ-28 photo for IQ and Character Mood against the Canon SX-110. Thenks, Greg!

This FZ-28 photo has almost DSLR quality to it.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Do you have a 100% crop or a link to the full image as it is almost impossible to learn anything from a small shot such as this. Here is looks either OOF or that it has motion blur. Seeing the pixel definition will help make your point.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 1:00 PM   #8

I bought the SX10 over two months ago and have used it almost daily. I am pleased with it. I have had an S2 for over three years and am pleased with it. It depends on what type of shooting you plan on doing and a variety of other preferences.

Rich
Poncho_48 is offline   Reply With Quote