Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:15 AM   #1

I took my son to Disneyland late last week for a short visit. Although I brought both the Oly E520 and the FZ28, the E520 stayed in the car at all times because I did not want to carry a big bag with multiple lenses and the heavy weight around my neck. Even though I got some good shots, I must admit that overall I was disappointed with the performance of the FZ28. I lost a high number of shots due to camera shake in conditions I would expect the camera to do much better. I also experienced a high number of shots with blown highlights and somewhat poor auto WB. This experience proved that the FZ28 is far from being a replacement for any DSLR.

Anyway, I often switched between color and B&W as I felt fit. Here are some B&W images I quite liked.

The Main Street train station.
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:17 AM   #2

The Haunted House.
Attached Images

Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:18 AM   #3

Frontierland
Attached Images

Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:20 AM   #4

Passing the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Attached Images

Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:22 AM   #5

Big Thunder setting
Attached Images

Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:23 AM   #6

The Jungle Cruise
Attached Images

Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:24 AM   #7

The Castle
Attached Images

Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:27 AM   #8

A restaurant in Frontierland
Attached Images

Old Dec 24, 2008, 6:38 AM   #9

Great shots, Tullio - I just love B&W's as it reminds me (I suppose I'm getting old...:roll of my youth when we reeked of developer-, stop- and fixing-solution after some hours in the darkroom.

What did you do to the sky in #1? It's so much darker than in the rest of the shots. Used a yellow-filter to darken the blue? If you shot in B&W one could actually use coloured filters, like yellow, orange and red, to give the sky a more dramatic appearance, and for the clouds to stand out.

Keep on sharing, you pictures are greatly appreciated! I like the depth in your B&W's. They show a great range of grey's together with deep black and clean white's.

Wish you a Happy X-mas!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:48 AM   #10

Thanks very much for your comments, Walter. I too like B&W photography but I believe there is a place for it. Not everything looks good in B&W (IMO). I used to develop my own B&W films and it was a lot of fun but to be honest, nothing beats the digital capabilities of current cameras and software when it comes to B&W processing.

Most images posted here were taken with the camera set to B&W and #1 is one of them. The FZ28 produced the dark sky probably based on the contrast of the subject. The other pictures, there was a much bigger contrast between the brightness of the sky and the shaded area being photographed and as a result, the camera over exposed the sky in order to bring out the shade.

Some cameras let you select a colored filter for B&W but the FZ28 is not one of them. Besides, when you are at Disney with a kid, you really don't have much time to make camera adjustments and the FZ28 is great with that respects because there are 4 custom settings you can use to preset the camera and quickly access them.

Anyway, have a wonderful Christmas!