Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:26 AM   #1

Thanks to the comments and advice on this forum, I went ahead and bought the FX28. I have handed down my trusty FZ20 to my 19-yo son, after having taken about 10,000 shots with it.

My first use of the FZ28 was to take photos of a rock band in concert at a small venue. Yes, I know I could have picked an easier first subject, but I couldn't resist trying out the ISO800 and 1600. I took 160 photos, of which maybe 10 were good and one was very good. I was experimenting with white balance, ISO, shifting, minimum shutter, etc.

I'll post the good images later.

My question is this: what do you use for postprocessing? I want to reduce the ISO800 noise (although it was pretty good) and reduce the size. I have been using IrfanView for a year or so for shrinking and cropping. I've used PhotoShop, but I think that's overkill for what I want. I have heard about Photoscape. Is it different/better than IrfanView?

I only recent heard of Neat Image for noise reduction and have downloaded the free version. I will likely buy the Home version, unless someone here advises otherwise.

What else do people do to photos regularly besides crop/reduce/sharpen/saturate/de-noise; and what do you use?

Thanks!

--Elliot
Happy new FZ28 owner

elliotm00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2008, 12:11 PM   #2

Personally, I use ACDSee Photo Manager 10 andI do use Neat Image for noise. I take a lot of photos with my FZ-28 in low light level situations. I have attached a sample photo. The photo does look posed but it was not. She was being introduced and waiting to play.
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 1:36 PM   #3

Ok, here is one of the "good" photos I took. It was a 5-piece band, and these two are brothers -- nephews of mine. The intention is to frame this and present it as a celebration gift. This was a CD release party, and they were playing songs off their new CD.

F/4.5, 1/8s, ISO 800, Tungsten, 36mm. Neat Image for noise reduction, IrfanView for size reduction and sharpening.

Attached Images

elliotm00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 2:18 PM   #4

Elliot-

You photo looks good. Please don't be discouraged with your initial low light level shooting experience. Low light level shooting requires practice and developing a technique that works for you. Yours is a good start. It will look good matted and framed.

Happy Holidays!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote