Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:09 PM   #1

Very tempting photos from Lumix LX3, makes me feel like getting one myself.

Here's the link :

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411392

rontth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2008, 7:03 AM   #2

Wow!

Incredible pictures. The wide angle perspective is just great. Makes you want one right away.

Decisions, decisions....:roll:
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 7:34 PM   #3

This camera has some wow factor to it like the FZ1 did for me five years ago. I still have my FZ1. It will be a sad day when it comes to its end. I still have my LC40s as well and it has the summicron lens as well and also shoots a low 2.0 at 36mm. Sharp.

Great pictures!
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:14 PM   #4

For the last few months, I have been looking for something to replace the Canon sd500 that my son is now using at college for some projects (has to produce a portfolio). The only real addition I wanted was IS, however Canon has increased the pixel count and everything else, so I landed on the LX3, to supplement my Pentax dSLR.

To my delight Santa obliged. I do have to say - having a wide angle, f2 unit with IS is really nice (actually VERY NICE), and I have been enjoying it quite a bit. It is amazing that I need a tripod for the Pentax with an f4 lens for sunsets on one hand and then stand there with the LX3 hand held with a relative fast shutter speed in comparison. ... on the other hand, the Pentax has a 12-24 and is much wider - however each has a different purpose.

It will also work out very well on business trips. I hate to empty out all my lenses and camera into the car trunk all the time before going into a building. Its much easier to slide the LX3 into a corner of the car. The LX3 is not quite pocketable, but its VERY carryable in a jacket pocket.

On the downside, having to need an extension tube to use a polarizing filter, just adds overall bulk to the overall system. There should have been a better solution.

However - overall I am a happy camper......
Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 10:34 PM   #5

Walter_S,

I know you might be getting a camera soon, I hope I didn't give you headache........decisions,decisions...:-)

vIZnquest,

Have to agree, the summicron lens is a great lens.

interested_observer

Thanks for sharing your photo.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 4:13 AM   #6

Well, dear rontth, never mind the headache. It's actually too late to ponder about this now, anyway.

A lucky event just recently, made me the proud owner of a brand new Panasonic Lumix FZ28 - no thanks to you and your marvellous photos from your trip to China!! ;o) - Thank you again for sharing these superb shots with me at just the right moment (sweet, sweet camera-shopping-time!) when I had to take this crucial, but lovelydecision.

So now it will be at least another year before I will have to make this new decision of which pocket able camera to have in addition to the FZ28. But it's alwaysnice to know exactly what one wants when it comes to choosingthe "right"camera, because its such a jungle out there.

Old Dec 28, 2008, 11:01 AM   #7

Walter_S,

Congratulation on your recent purchase of the Lumix FZ28, I'm sure you will be able to take many beautiful photos with this camera.

This is what I took during this festive season with my FZ28, all from Singapore Changi Airport :

Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:40 AM   #8

Thank you for sharing these magnificent shots, rontth!

Especially #3 - which is my favorite with its wide-angle view, since it displays what great architectural photos, even indoors,you can do with the FZ28. Also #4 and #2for the same reason (depth) and #5 for colours!

Very interestingmotive in #8 - so good!

I like this series very much, rontth. Singapore must be the cleanest place on earth!

)

Edited:

By the way, rontth. What do you do about support when you take these shots inside the airport-terminal? Do you carry a fully fledged tripod with you, or do you use other ad hoc contraptions, like luggage trolleys counter, etc.

Old Dec 31, 2008, 3:16 AM   #9

Hi Walter_S,

Actually I don'thave atripod (I know it seems silly), that why you don't see me post any night shot so far. All the photos are handheld except for the 2 dark scene where my elbow rest on the counter.

I do own a tripod now, bought yesterday on the spur of the moment, while passing this camera shop. Did not do any research on tripod soI just told the saleman to recommend me a tripod for my FZ28 and maybe for use with a DSLR in future. He showed mea Manfortto tripod ( don't know which model ), quite heavy and need to pay extra for the head, total cost outside my budget. After pondering for a long time, he suggested the Slik Pro 340DX,no need to pay extra for the head, quite light but sturdy and cheap. So now owner of Slik tripod.

Planning to take some night scene, panaroma and maybe HDR (if I can find the software) no thanks to the LX3 thread above where they post some fantastic night shots which gives me the urge to take more photos. If I had not seen the thread my camera would now be in the dry cabinet.

Old Jan 1, 2009, 2:39 AM   #10

First panaroma test shot of my housing estate.