Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 29, 2004, 11:32 AM   #11

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I've been very busy. My error in responding to a previous message. The FX5 does have OIS. I've been evaluating the final samples this morning and I'm somewhat impresed. It's a very sleek looking camera withthe mode dial on the back of the camera. This makes for easy adjustments using your thumb. I wish I had a server to which I could post some photos as I think this would answer most of your questions.

Sales has not forwarded me a releasedate but given what I know I'd speculate within the next 30-60 days. Again, this is my guesstimation.

The camera offers 4 MP with OIS and uses our Venus video engine. What specific questions do you have? I'll do my best to answer them. My understanding is that this will be at PMA in Las Vegas. Anyone planning to attend?
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 12:32 PM   #12

Quote:
I wish I had a server to which I could post some photos as I think this would answer most of your questions.
bob, why not set up a temp 30 day free account at pbase.com

marko
marko1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 1:51 PM   #13

Since most services of this type result in a flood of unwanted e-mail, our company policy is to avoid using them. Being behind a corporate firewall restricts me from doing a lot of things that most people would not even give a second thought to.
Old Jan 31, 2004, 10:24 AM   #14

Well,

My most important question is, is this camera worth waiting for? I will take some heat for dragging my feet on getting my wife her replacement 'christmas' present. I did buy her a digi camera for christmas, but even when buying it, I did not think it was a 'keeper' (I returned it).

Bob, what did you think of the quality of the pictures? Things that are normally described with camera reviews... Barrel distortion, purple edge tinging, etc. Was the clarity really really good? I am guessing you did not take the pictures, and did not actually have the camera (sample pics)?

I finally got my wife into a 'best buy' the other night and was amazed that she did not think the Kodak 6490 or Canon G5 was too big. I had thought all along she would think they were too big and complicated looking. Hence my aim to keep in the mid range size of digicam.

Now I don't know what to do! There are so many darn cameras! There are features I like on some, over others, but no ONE camera has every feature I really like! It makes for total meltdown when trying to make a selection. Go for: simplicity, quality, optical zoom, OIS, foldout/pivot LCD screen, Premium lens brand used, LCD size, 4 or 5 megapixels, good battery compatibility, and on and on!

My current list of choices (for wife's camera) in no particular order:

Panasonic FX5
Canon A80
Kyocera S5R

And now that size is not as big an issue (with her) as I had thought...

Kodak 6490
Canon G5

I know I could add many more, but I would never finish this post!
Loaded98LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 11:43 PM   #15

Bob, what did you think of the quality of the pictures? Things that are normally described with camera reviews... Barrel distortion, purple edge tinging, etc. Was the clarity really really good? I am guessing you did not take the pictures, and did not actually have the camera (sample pics)?

<RESPONSE>
I could only wish that I didn't have the camera! No, I am responsible for testing every camera that we release. The FZ5 is a very nice pocket DSC that included OIS. The photos are crisp, OIS will assist those newbies who may not be so familiar with DSC's and the overall layout is nice to use.

I learned long ago that what one person likes others dislike - I guess it's like a movie or a bottle of wine! I've got a collection of 11x14's and 12x18's I shot with the FX5 and overall I'm very happy with the results. Is it an FZ10 - no of course not. It's a much simpler design but for someone who is looking for a pocket camera with features that are a bit more advanced I think you would like it.

Battery life was good, and themenus are very similar to our other models. It's small, so if you have large hands you might want to try it before you buy it. What more can I say?
Old Feb 1, 2004, 10:02 PM   #16

Thanks so much for the personal feedback based on trying it!
Loaded98LS is offline   Reply With Quote