Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 20, 2003, 4:55 PM   #1

Default Bob @ Panasonic FX5 Q's

Bob, re FX5:
1. When will it be available (in Japan, then in US)
2. Will its VF be smaller/equal/larger in size to the LC43's?
3. What does the "Focus" button on the back select?
4. Has image quality or AF speed or low-light AF ability been improved over that of the LC43's?

Any other info appreciated.
psurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2003, 9:09 AM   #2

Since it's not yet announced in the U.S. I have nothing I can discuss at this time.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 12:01 AM   #3

Default Japan sale date

This much I found out. Sale dates in japan are:
FX5, 11/28
FX1, 11/22

Bob, in the meantime, could you supply an email address of a counterpart in Japan that could possibly answer my questions?
Old Oct 22, 2003, 9:12 AM   #4

I'm sorry, but I'm unable to do that. If you live in Japan please contact Panasonic's Customer Care department. Like in the U.S., they cannot discuss products until they are announced and released.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:18 PM   #5

Thanks anyway, Bob. I'll try writing to Pana Japan.
In the meantime, I'd like to express to the company that I appreciate the innovation of adding OIS into the compact line, and think that it could really pay off for Pana if combined w/the improvements that would allow the FX5/1 to fully Utilize that OIS advantage:

That is mainly, an AF system that works in the lower available light conditions where OIS can be the most helpful.
Also focus and framing aids for that lighting, including useable OVF (meaning not too small), and LCD gain-up and/or enlargement of central area.

These basic and needed features would really set the camera apart from the pack.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 10:57 AM   #6

Adding OIS to the small cameras would necessitate making it much larger.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
... or having a cross-licensing agreement with Minolta (I believe they patented their "Anti Shake" technology).

Speaking of small cameras, take a look at the Sony Cyber-shot T1. The idea of having lens elements inside the body at a 90-degree angle is intriguing.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo
Speaking of small cameras, take a look at the Sony Cyber-shot T1. The idea of having lens elements inside the body at a 90-degree angle is intriguing.
The idea of the lens vertical inside the body at 90 degree angle with a mirror cames from Minolta and the first camera with this configuration was the Minolta Dimage X in 2002.
FrancescoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2003, 5:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
Bob, the small FX5 and FX1 Do Have OIS, that is their #1 main new feature ...How about a link in Japan where can I write for a few Q's answered?
Old Jan 28, 2004, 5:41 AM   #10

Panasonic Bob!

Since this camera has been officially introduced in the US, how about some details on it (if you have any)?

I had narrowed my current 'next camera' (wife's camera) down to a short list (some of which are: A80, G5, S5R), but then I was blown away buy the introduction of this camera (FX5).

I have a Canon Pro90is now (2 yrs old), and love the OIS feature. I also have the OIS Sony TRV900 camcorder as well, love that too.

So, as shown, I have a desire for OIS. But there is no way my wife would EVER use the Lumix 12X optical camera. As a matter of fact she would declare "nonsense (%&$#@$!), you bought this for yourself!"

So, if I can get a FX5 reasonably soon, I really think I want that camera (for her). I do have a time limit though (mid March vacation), and I'm concerned I may not be able to get it. Panasonic still does not even list the camera on the USA website. If someone knew a Panasonic phone# that would get me to the right department, I would try that as well and post back here.

I am looking to aquire this camera (if possible) in 30 days (max). Or I have to move 'down' the foodchain (IMO).

Thanks, and look forward to anyone's help on this!

BTW, Major compliments to 'Steve', as his website and work is amazing. I have learned much and spent (sleepless) hours reading everything that catches my eye...
Loaded98LS is offline   Reply With Quote