Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 1, 2009, 1:43 PM   #1

I havea V-LUX 1 (FZ50) that I have not been using because I bought a Olympus E-510 with 11-22 - 14-54 and 50-200 lenses. Lately I find myself wishing for the good old days with my FZ-50 P&S.

The E-510 with thoes lenses is a very nice setup but I learned to shoot with a FZ-1 and have been upgrading FZ's ever since. When I thought it was apparent that Panny was not coming out with a FZ-60 I went with the E-510. It seems like I miss as many shots as I get because I have the wrond lens on my camera. I still shoot like I have a superzoom camerain my hands and that just doesn't work for me.

Do any of the new Panasonic cameras do a better jod with IQ and noise than my trusty V-LUX 1 (FZ-50)? I know the LX3 probably does but it doesn't have enough zoom range for me.

DonR

Oly E-510 / 11-22 / 14-54 / 50-200/EC-14 / V-LUX 1/ TCON 1.7/ TCON 1.4

d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:19 AM   #2

d-sr wrote:
Quote:
I havea V-LUX 1 (FZ50) that I have not been using because I bought a Olympus E-510 with 11-22 - 14-54 and 50-200 lenses. Lately I find myself wishing for the good old days with my FZ-50 P&S.

The E-510 with thoes lenses is a very nice setup but I learned to shoot with a FZ-1 and have been upgrading FZ's ever since. When I thought it was apparent that Panny was not coming out with a FZ-60 I went with the E-510. It seems like I miss as many shots as I get because I have the wrond lens on my camera. I still shoot like I have a superzoom camerain my hands and that just doesn't work for me.

Do any of the new Panasonic cameras do a better jod with IQ and noise than my trusty V-LUX 1 (FZ-50)? I know the LX3 probably does but it doesn't have enough zoom range for me.

DonR

I actually went from FZ1 (that I've owned since a few months after it was first released) to an Olympus E-500 2-lens kit along with a Zuiko 18-180mm (was looking for that one lens solution). After a little over a year with the E-500, I bought the FZ50 when it was only $412 shipped, mostly because I figured, why not? If I didn't like it, I could always resell it for that price. Well, I liked it so much that I kept it and sold my Olympus kit.

Unless they come out with a one lens solution for use with the new Panasonic G1, then your future camera will likely not come from Panasonic. I don't see Panasonic ever releasing a true upgrade to the FZ50. I do see future cameras (even interchangeable lens cameras) becoming smaller than current DSLRs and even using smaller than current sensors due to advancements in technology that will allow the smaller sensors to work better than they currently do. They may even come out with a fixed lens solution. However, I doubt it will be called a FZ anything. In the short term, I'm hoping the next model after the FZ28 (the only FZ line they seem to be continuing) will have a hotshoe. I would miss the zoom and focus rings of the bigger FZ's, but just putting a hotshoe on it would help a great deal.

Otherwise, it's off to Fuji and the S100FS (or upgraded future model), as that seems to be the only thing close to a FZ50 replacement that's currently available.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:42 AM   #3

EffZeeOne wrote:
Quote:
d-sr wrote:
Quote:

DonR

Quote:
I actually went from FZ1 (that I've owned since a few months after it was first released) to an Olympus E-500 2-lens kit along with a Zuiko 18-180mm (was looking for that one lens solution). After a little over a year with the E-500, I bought the FZ50 when it was only $412 shipped, mostly because I figured, why not? If I didn't like it, I could always resell it for that price. Well, I liked it so much that I kept it and sold my Olympus kit.

Unless they come out with a one lens solution for use with the new Panasonic G1, then your future camera will likely not come from Panasonic. I don't see Panasonic ever releasing a true upgrade to the FZ50. I do see future cameras (even interchangeable lens cameras) becoming smaller than current DSLRs and even using smaller than current sensors due to advancements in technology that will allow the smaller sensors to work better than they currently do. They may even come out with a fixed lens solution. However, I doubt it will be called a FZ anything. In the short term, I'm hoping the next model after the FZ28 (the only FZ line they seem to be continuing) will have a hotshoe. I would miss the zoom and focus rings of the bigger FZ's, but just putting a hotshoe on it would help a great deal.

Otherwise, it's off to Fuji and the S100FS (or upgraded future model), as that seems to be the only thing close to a FZ50 replacement that's currently available.
Quote:
I guess Ill stick with my V-LUX 1 until somethimg a lot better comes along. It produces steller photos in good light. I'm waiting on FZ50 upgrade with better low light abilities. As good as the FZ50 is at everything else I guess I should keep my E510 for thoes occasions and be happy.
Quote:
DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote