Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 1, 2009, 8:32 PM   #1

I have an FZ20. I recently bought an FZ28 as an upgrade, but I haven't had much of a chance to use it yet. I often attempt to take photos of live events, like concerts and plays. The FZ20 only went to ISO400 and the FZ28 is supposedly fairly good at ISO800.

The minimum aperture for the FZ20 is f/2.8 throughout the full range of the zoom. The FZ28 is more than a full stop less at the max zoom. So, at full zoom, you have to push the ISO to the next level on the FZ28 to get the same exposure as the FZ20.

I see that the FZ20 was the only (or at least last) camera to have this constant f/2.8. How did they do it, and why did they stop doing it? And is the exposure at x12 on the FZ28 better than the FZ20 even though it's a slower lens?

(I'd consider getting a D40, but only if I could afford the $600 18-200mm VR lens.)

Thanks!

elliotm00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2009, 9:57 PM   #2

The Nikon 18-200mm lens even with VR would not help you much. It goes from 3.5 to 5.6 so it really doesn't make much sense to even consider something like that.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 3:55 PM   #3

My thinking was that the 18-200mm would give the approximate zoom range of an x12 P&S (with the 1.5 multiplier of the D40), and with the larger sensor and reduced noise at the high ISOs, then the overall picture quality would be better.

Still, I'm wondering about how the FZ20 did it with the constant f/2.8 lens and why they didn't keep it that was for the FZ30 and FZ50, etc.

--Elliot

elliotm00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:02 PM   #4

elliotm00 wrote:
Quote:
Still, I'm wondering about how the FZ20 did it with the constant f/2.8 lens and why they didn't keep it that was for the FZ30 and FZ50, etc.

Like any change, it had to be a cost savings that allowed them to keep the newer models within a price range they wanted this line to fall into.

In reviewing the FZ20 with the later FZ30 and FZ50, there's a significant difference between the lenses on power up as the FZ20's lensextends a small amount when powered up, then zooms internally from that point. The FZ30 and FZ50's lenses are the same length whether the camera is on or off. There's no extension on powering up.

I would think the long term posibility of a breakdown in the FZ20 is more likely since a motor is requires to zoom the FZ20's lens into taking position when turned onwhere the FZ30 and FZ50 seem to be a much simpler design.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote