Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:29 AM   #1
K8

We are currently at Bosque del Apache (wildlife preserve) for a month. Last year I tried for a lot of shots of flying cranes with little success. I now have both a FZ30 (which I had last year) and an FZ28. I'm hoping the combination of the higher zoom and updated software will give me better shots.

I haven't seen a lot of talk here on panning shots, does anyone have any advice?

Kate

http://cholulared.blogspot.com
Attached Images

K8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:49 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Seems like a lovely place to be, better than the cold UK :-)

What is it you are wanting to know about panning?

Basic technique is to keep things smooth, with a long lens a monopod is really helpful, don't zoom while panning and practise, practise, practise!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:55 AM   #3

My limited experience has been that panning works best with no or minimum zoom. Unfortunately, I don't have a sample to show you right now. The higher the zoom, I havehad more difficulty in following the subject, resulting in motion blur and focus loss. However, all that was with my old FZ3. I haven't tried panning with the new FZ28 yet.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:06 AM   #4
K8

Thanks for the replies, I guess I just need to practice.

It's so wonderful here I'm just hoping to be able to capture some of it better than last year.

Here's the best I could do last year, so you can see the problem.

Kate

http://cholulared.blogspot.com
Attached Images

K8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:09 PM   #5

First week I got my FZ-28, the Blue Angels were in town.

Now THAT was a panning problem! At least your birds aren't going 400 mph.

Looking at your sample photo, I don't see a whole lot of motion blur. Mostly, it looks like the birds closest to you are a little out of focus. More distant birds and the mountains appear sharp, suggesting that your camera might be focused at infinity.

Let me suggest that you set your camera to manual focus, and prefocus using the depth of field scale that appears when you select manual focus. Set it so that it spans the closest you expect the birds to be out to as far as you expect the birds to be, maybe infinity. You can use objects on the ground to estimate your prefocus distances, as you really have no way to predict when the birds will take flight.

And, as already suggested, be as smooth as possible. Although the FZ-28 has less shutter lag than its predecessors, you will still need to lead your subject a bit.

If motion blur is a problem, experiment with the sports setting, but sometimes a little motion blur can help put the motion of the shot into context.
rfdandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 6:32 PM   #6

Hi Kate,

I tried some panning shots on a recent holiday, on eagles. But I had the cam in aperture prio i think, and the shutterspeed was too slow, resulting in slightly blurred results. Also, the OIS was in mode2, which is not good for panning; it must either be in mode1, or off.

So I would recommend using shutterspeed prio at a fast setting (at least 1/400 if using max zoom), and using the proper ois mode

Happy shooting!

GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote