Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:52 PM   #1

Got my FZ28 just before Christmas. Haven't taken many pictures with it, but I'm disappointed with the noise. Attached is an image I took of my wife & I in front of the tree. I took it using the self-timer, 3 exposures, camera on tripod. All exposures show the same problem. If you zoom in on our faces, they're very speckled. I assure you neither my wife nor I have freckles or blemishes. It appears the camera is adding lots of noise to the flesh tones.

Do I have a defective Z28? Or is this normal?

Please help. I have little time to decide to send it back. Thank you.

Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:56 PM   #2

Hmm, for some reason the jpg attachment didn't go. Trying again...
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:58 PM   #3

OK, here it is from PhotBucket. Here's a blow-up of our faces:

And here's the original image:

Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:01 PM   #4
Super Moderator

The How to post your photos section might help you out but probably you are trying to load an image too large.

Edit: I must have been off searching for the link while you posted the shots. Oops
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:01 PM   #5

deleted.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:01 PM   #6

The EXIF data indicates that the photo was taken with the flash and that the ISO was 160.

With such a low ISO, you'd expect the photo to be noise-free.

I agree that the noise level is rather high for such a low ISO.

I'd seriously consider returning the camera and exchanging it for something that does better as far as noise is concerned - perhaps the Canon SX10is, Sony H50 or Fuji S2000hd.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:14 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I'm sorry to say that the noise level is about right, although obviously we would all like it to be less than this.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have just purchased a Canon SX1 (I have a Panasonic TZ5 as well)and would say that noise is very similar so I wouldn't go switching it out. If you want noticeably less noise then pretty much you have to move into dSLR territory.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"What do you need the camera for? If you want large prints in anything apart from in very well lit situations then this is not the option for you, however if like a lot of us you want to save the memories, show photos on the computer, print 6x4s from time to time then you have a great tool, as well as the ability to shoot good video. I'm not saying you can't print larger sizes and I would think you could still get a usable 9x6 or 10x8 from this but is someone were to scrutinise closely then the flaws would be seen.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Forgetting the concerns about noise, it's a lovely Christmas photo
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:01 AM   #8

Thanks for the comments, Mark and Andy. It still leaves me uncertain about keeping the camera.

One thing to note -- based on reviews here and dpreview that Panny's noise reduction was over-aggressive, I had set the noise reduction down to -2. I have since set it back to 0. Haven't had time to take more pictures, but I will, and then decide.

In answer to Mark's question. Yes, mostly for vacation and family pictures. I haven't graduated to a DSLR yet, for both cost and bulk/weight reasons. I still remember lugging around my old Olympus OM-G, with normal, tele-zoom, and wide lenses, flash, etc. Nearly broke my arm on vacations, and I was much younger then!

The camera was meant as a replacement for our old Konica-Minolta Z1, which took great pictures. Wife & I now have similar Canon digital Elphs (SD770IS and SD800), which are great pocket cameras. But in looking through our collection of vacation pictures, my wife commented on how much sharper the pictures had been from the Z1 (which was only 3MP). She suggested getting a new camera for Christmas. She didn't need to ask twice!

So the intent was something more than a camera to throw in the pocket, just in case; but less than a full DSLR. Something to bring along when we want good pictures, but not break my arm lugging it around.

-Bob

Old Jan 6, 2009, 5:25 PM   #9
Super Moderator

You are right about the noise at certain levels on some of the older cameras that didn't cram in the pixels as much but this is the way things are at the moment. I wish I could get a 6mp camera superzoom with great noise handling rather than going for the current batch of 10mp. Pretty much because big numbers sell, due to ignorance very few people would buy a 6mp P&S camera. You know what it is like when people ask you about your digital camera is "how many mp is that?" there is no consideration of clean images.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:04 AM   #10

Blues wrote:
Quote:

So the intent was something more than a camera to throw in the pocket, just in case; but less than a full DSLR. Something to bring along when we want good pictures, but not break my arm lugging it around.

-Bob
This ones' easy today. There's no longer an excuse ofyou not havingsuch a camera. Buy the G1. Yes, it is expensive, but it has the bigger sensor and it is very small and easy to carry. The two lenses they make for it right now look like toys they are so small, but they are also very good. What you are seeing with the FZ28 is what it is today with the smaller sensored, pixel-stuffdigicams. All you aregoing to do if you keep buying digicams is continue to create posts like this in whatever brands' forum you happen to try next, so move up or just learn to livewith the reality of what todays digicam models produce.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote