Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrmseKpr
Quote:
the MSRP is way inflated!
That's Canadian $$$ not US $$$
So? Do the conversion.
It's equivalent to US$583. Way inflated compared to the US$450 MSRP south of the border.
Yep, sorry, for some odd reason I had it in my head that the MSRP was $599.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 5:39 PM   #12

Quote:
So? Do the conversion.
It's equivalent to US$583. Way inflated compared to the US$450 MSRP south of the border.
well, you forget that currency values are more complicated than it looks. my very amateurish understanding is like this. USD has fallen sharply in past few years (more than 25% against the Euro, for example). but thanks to unimaginable strength (or influence) of US economy (for how long?) the prices (and sallaries) in US remane almost the same (so US Citizens do not feel the effects of the decline) - therefore things in US got very cheap for non-USD bound countries. However, Canadian Dollar hasn't fallen much. in other words, it has risen against the USD. therefore if you consider the actual value of USD in US and its actual value abroad (smaller by >25 %), you will see, that the MSRP is pretty much the same. Don't forget, that in European Euro zone official MSRP for FZ1 was even bigger - 599 EUR (I may be wrong, as it is no longer on websites, FZ2 has it at 529 EUR). 599 eur by todays exchange rate equals about 700 USD. is it inflated? don't know.
so situation is as it is - for US citizens everything abroad got more expensive, while for non-US citizens buing in US is very cheap - exports soar. this appearantly balances the bad effect of weak dollar an no one there seems to care about it yet.
K
Kestas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2003, 6:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestas
Quote:
So? Do the conversion.
well, you forget that currency values are more complicated than it looks. my very amateurish understanding is like this. USD has fallen sharply in past few years (more than 25% against the Euro, for example). but thanks to unimaginable strength (or influence) of US economy (for how long?) the prices (and sallaries) in US remane almost the same (so US Citizens do not feel the effects of the decline) - therefore things in US got very cheap for non-USD bound countries. However, Canadian Dollar hasn't fallen much. in other words, it has risen against the USD. therefore if you consider the actual value of USD in US and its actual value abroad (smaller by >25 %), you will see, that the MSRP is pretty much the same. Don't forget, that in European Euro zone official MSRP for FZ1 was even bigger - 599 EUR (I may be wrong, as it is no longer on websites, FZ2 has it at 529 EUR). 599 eur by todays exchange rate equals about 700 USD. is it inflated? don't know.
so situation is as it is - for US citizens everything abroad got more expensive, while for non-US citizens buing in US is very cheap - exports soar. this appearantly balances the bad effect of weak dollar an no one there seems to care about it yet.
K
It's true and now in Europe we pay everythink 25 % more than in the USA. The FZ2 is now 501 ? from an italian internet dealer, the FZ10 til now is not annouced in Italy.
FrancescoC is offline   Reply With Quote