Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 16, 2009, 6:50 AM   #1

Took this last night with my new FZ28.. it took lots and lots of shots before I was happy with this one.

It has not been digitally altered/photoshopped, though I did crop it to take out the shadow of the lensehood at the bottom of the picture. Not sure what I could do to get rid of the fuzzyness at the bottom of the ring? Or rather, how I could have avoided it to start with?

Please feel free to suggest/help/critique (in a nice way :-)) as I have never used manual settings before!

Gerda
http://gerdasblog.blogspot.com/
Attached Images

GerdaFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:14 AM   #2

I would try to get enough light without the flash.....but regardless, I would lock the ISO at 100 and I am sure the result would be much better......it also may be a good place to use macro mode........but I am not sure manual mode should be used, unless you are very familiar with that setting. but you did seem to get the exposure correct but I do not think you had the focus correct or you did not hold steady enough. I do not see a spot on the photo that seems to have a perfect focus.

And while I understand why you may have wanted to use F8......I think that is a poor choice also.....

Try a few photos in aperture (F4)or program mode, at ISO100 and my guess is the photo will be sharper.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 9:22 AM   #3

genece wrote:
Quote:
I would try to get enough light without the flash.....but regardless, I would lock the ISO at 100 and I am sure the result would be much better......it also may be a good place to use macro mode........but I am not sure manual mode should be used, unless you are very familiar with that setting. but you did seem to get the exposure correct but I do not think you had the focus correct or you did not hold steady enough. I do not see a spot on the photo that seems to have a perfect focus.

And while I understand why you may have wanted to use F8......I think that is a poor choice also.....

Try a few photos in aperture (F4)or program mode, at ISO100 and my guess is the photo will be sharper.
Duhh.. why did I not think of lowering the ISO to 100?? Geesh! Thanks!

I tried it in macro mode, and it was worse than what I got out of this. This was simply the best image I got out of the settings at the time. I did not have any other light available (one desklamp was in my son's bedroom) but will swipe that tonight and have another go.
The focus... don't know what I could have done different, other than a faster shutter speed, as I was resting my hands on the floor and the camera was as steady as could be.
The F8.. it was simply better than any of the others settings.

I will have a go with the settings you suggest, and see what happens!
GerdaFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:14 AM   #4

GerdaFL wrote:
Quote:
don't know what I could have done different, other than a faster shutter speed, as I was resting my hands on the floor and the camera was as steady as could be.
Your problem seems to be focus and shutter speed has nothing to do with it. For close range, you must practice with macro mode. However, with large and small objects in the same frame if you are not able to achieve focus in macro mode, move to programe mode, shoot the objects from a distance and then crop to the desired level. FZ28 gives you excellent flexibility for focus in the manual mode, and for getting into macro mode without rotating the dial to the macro mode. Please read the instruction manual that came with the camera. Practice, practice, practice. I am sure you can achieve it. And when you do, please re-shoot these same objects and post the photo - we will be happy to see your improvement.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:21 AM   #5

I am not trying to be a know it all as I am far from that .....but to make a few suggestions that may help......I also do not own a FZ28 but I think my FZ18 is very similar.

one thing to watch is your minimum focus distance.......you may be too close to the subject........At 4X zoom, I think you need to beabout 1 meter from the subject and that increases to 2 meters at full zoom.

If you are going to use a flash.....the default SS setting should be 1/30th of a second (not 1/13)...and that can be set faster.......use very little ambient light and depend entirely on the flash as that is very short, only about 1/10,000 of a second.

Do not use any anti red eye or slow sync flash modes.

Looking at the exif for that photo...do not use multi area focus but use one area or spot focus.

I would also use IS mode 2

and also CW metering and Noise reduction on low.

I also would set the contrast on low but those are just my preferences.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote