Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 22, 2009, 7:28 AM   #1

How do you post images here ??

from smugmug
boyzo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:07 AM   #2

I have to be honest....when I saw the topic line, this was the last question I figured to see!

Posting an image from Smugmug is easy, but you first have to have the folder on Smugmug "unprotected" so you can right click and "copy" the image off your Smugmug web page, and this method allows you to post as many images as you want on one post.

Once the files are unprotected, open a file up on Smugmug to the size you want to post here. I would not go beyond the X-Large size image if you've uploaded the full-size file to Smugmug. Just to give an example, I have uploaded an X-Large file below for you to see how big it looks here.

Once you have the file open on Smugmug, simply right-click and "copy", then come to this page, place the curser where you want the image to go, right click and pick "paste" and the image will post here as a hyperlink. Now someone can look at the image here and, if they click on it, they will go to the image on your webpage. It isn't hard and, as I said, you can post as many images as you want in one post vs. having to post muliple times to insert one file at a time using the box they provide here.

One positive thing about posting inthis forum compared to DPReview, you can only edit your post once at DPReview, and only if you do it within 15 minutes. Here, you can go back to a post any number of times and correct, or add to what you have posted.

Here's the X-Large image and how bigit looks..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:13 AM   #3
Administrator

How to post your photos
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:54 AM   #4

It has very little to do with the size you post ,but it does have a lot to do with how you resize and compress the file .....I was just ready to send my kids this photo ,I send one a day and thought I could post it here to show you can post a rather large picture. I reduce the size to about 1600 pixels in a photo editor and then I use windows resizer to get it an appropriate size for email and posting.

One thing, do not preview your image after you post or it will disappear, if you are posting right from your hard drive.
Attached Images

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:00 PM   #5

genece wrote:
Quote:
It has very little to do with the size you post ,but it does have a lot to do with how you resize and compress the file .....I was just ready to send my kids this photo ,I send one a day and thought I could post it here to show you can post a rather large picture. I reduce the size to about 1600 pixels in a photo editor and then I use windows resizer to get it an appropriate size for email and posting.
This is exactly the same way mine is done above. The only difference is, once I upload my full-sizeimages to Smugmug, they give the user several reduced file sizes to post as hyperlinks, which was what I did inthe aboveimage I posted.

I used to manuallyreduce my images in Photoshop and post the single, smallerfile via the upload box Steve's provides, but once I realized Smugmugwas doingthis for me, with added bonuses that I can post virtually an unlimited number of imagesin any one post, andany viewer can click on any image I post here and go to the website if they want to see the full-sized version with all EXIF data there to see easily, I stopped doing the manual file reducing and now use theSmugmug hyperlinksanytime I want to post an image here.

That's also why I made the comment about my images being at Smugmug at their original size. I've noticed many users upload reduced size files to their pages at Smugmug, meaning the morereduced size hyperlinks might create an X-Large file that's not exactly the same size as those I do since my originals are the full, original sized files.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:39 PM   #6

Why bother with Smugmug when you can upload your photos straight from your PC? On dpreview they force you to have your pictures hosted by a site somewhere.; You can not upload anything to their site. Then if you choose to remove the image from your hosting site, your post in dpreview will no longer show the image.

Here, all you have to do is re-size your pictures so that it does not exceed 250,000 bytes. Then you start a new topic, click on BROWSE and point to the location where the re-sized image is on your PC. Then click on the Preview button at the bottom to upload the image. If the size is larger than the maximum allowed, you'll get an error. Once the image is uploaded, you clin the Send button (next to the Preview button) to post your picture. The only draw back of this system is that if you have multiple pictures you want to post in the same topic, you have to post the first one then click on Reply, type anything and repeat the brose/preview/send process. You can also use the "isert image" buttom point to a URL where your images are being hosted.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:05 AM   #7

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Why bother with Smugmug when you can upload your photos straight from your PC?
Quote:
I do it for the very reason you give later in this post, which is the ability to load as many images as I want in one post, and if anyone wants to see the original-size image and/or EXIF data, all they have to do is click on the image hereand it opens up at my website with access to the ful-sized fileallEXIF data available.
Quote:
On dpreview they force you to have your pictures hosted by a site somewhere.; You can not upload anything to their site. Then if you choose to remove the image from your hosting site, your post in dpreview will no longer show the image.
Quote:
And that makes the process used here perfect for folks not interested in having their images hosted somewhere else.
Quote:
I know lots of people whodo exactlywhat you've described here...posting images and then shortly thereafter removing them from their website, and that is a problem. I also understand DPReview not wanting to have to allocate whatwould haveto stillbe tons of memory storing, even at the smaller size, thousands of images. I have no doubt the number of people posting in the forums at DPReview and the number ofimages being posted far outpace anything hitting this website.
Quote:

Here, all you have to do is re-size your pictures so that it does not exceed 250,000 bytes. Then you start a new topic, click on BROWSE and point to the location where the re-sized image is on your PC. Then click on the Preview button at the bottom to upload the image. If the size is larger than the maximum allowed, you'll get an error. Once the image is uploaded, you clin the Send button (next to the Preview button) to post your picture. The only draw back of this system is that if you have multiple pictures you want to post in the same topic, you have to post the first one then click on Reply, type anything and repeat the brose/preview/send process. You can also use the "isert image" buttom point to a URL where your images are being hosted.
Quote:
All I have to do is open my website in a window next this site, look at an image I want to post, at the size I want to post it, click copy and then pastein a message hereand it's done. If there's a series of 5-6 images I want to post, I can do that in around a minute or two in one postvs. having to hitreply 5 times.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:30 AM   #8

But if you ever reorganise your images on smugmug, they'll be become invisible on Steve's.

I often look back at old threads here in Steve's, using 'Google Advanced Search' to search this site, or a relevant subforum, for a key phrase or username that I can remember. It is annoying to find other people's images vanished, to be replaced by the dreaded little box with a red cross, becuase the external link has vanished.

One the great values of these forums is the resource they offer, to find illustrated discussion over a vast range of photographic topics. That's only true if the illustrations are there. For me, this isn't just an instant chatter forum, for the here and now.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:08 AM   #9

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
But if you ever reorganise your images on smugmug, they'll be become invisible on Steve's.
Quote:
Highly unlikely in my case, but I can see your point.

I often look back at old threads here in Steve's, using 'Google Advanced Search' to search this site, or a relevant subforum, for a key phrase or username that I can remember. It is annoying to find other people's images vanished, to be replaced by the dreaded little box with a red cross, becuase the external link has vanished.

One the great values of these forums is the resource they offer, to find illustrated discussion over a vast range of photographic topics. That's only true if the illustrations are there. For me, this isn't just an instant chatter forum, for the here and now.
Quote:
True, but images on this site aren't the only thing on the 'net disappearing all the time. Just this past weekend I had to delete a few bookmarks I had of web pages I had saved for future reference that were no longer there, including a website a couple had on an apartment we had rented in Paris the last time we were there. There's never beena guarantee thatanything you see on the web today is going to be there tomorrow.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:16 PM   #10

You can also use a host site (I use Flickr) and post multiple images in one shot...

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote