Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 3, 2009, 3:58 PM   #1

Hello. This is my first post, but I have been visiting this site quite often, which has helped me to decide on the FZ28. I purchased this camera 4 days ago and started taking pictures right out of the box.

My problem is, when I tried downloading pictures to my Dell, the computer did not recognize the camera (I got message stating something about not recognizing the USB device). I turned off the camera and tried another laptop (PC) and the same thing happened. The memory card I am using is a ScanDisk Ultra II SDHC (15mb/s; 8 GB). Thinking that maybe the laptop was having trouble interfacing with the memory card, I removed it and took a few shots without it. Same result unfortunately.

I have tried 2 OS's: MS Windows XP (professional) version 5.1 & a non-professional version.

I have read that using a smart card reader could help, however, being that I tried to download from the internal memory of the camera I am not sure if that is the best solution.

Anyone have any advice?

Many apologies if I posted this in the wrong area of the forum.

PicTrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2009, 5:54 PM   #2

FZ28 will work with your PC. Pg 112/113 of the camera's user manual provides some caveates.

- ENSURE THAT THE BATTERY IS CHARGED (ie, camera has sufficient power)

- Make sure that you use the USB CONNECTION CABLE THAT COMES WITH THE CAMERA

- ENSURE IN THE MENU SET UP THAT USB MODE IS SET = PC

Note: The manual states to turn on the camera before plugging in the USB cable. With my FZ7, I plug in the cable, then turn the camera on & WINXP recognizes the camera. I would think that FZ28 should work similarly.

sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:12 PM   #3

Thanks for your response. I tried suggestions you were nice enough to provide (details below), but I still cannot seem to get it to work. I should have mentioned that I did get it to work earlier today (before I posted), enough to download 1 picture and then the the PC decided not to recognize the camera and received that same USB Device Not Recognized notification. After that, nothing. So it seems that the camera is making an effort. I would blame my laptop, but I have tried it on another and the same result. Though, these laptops are 2-3 years old, I am wondering if they are not current enough for this camera.

- ENSURE THAT THE BATTERY IS CHARGED (ie, camera has sufficient power)
After I posted my question, I did notice that I was on my last bar of power, so I charged up the camera before trying again.

- Make sure that you use the USB CONNECTION CABLE THAT COMES WITH THE CAMERA

I was sure not to mix up my USB cable with others I have. In fact, I kept it in the camera box until I tried using it today.

- ENSURE IN THE MENU SET UP THAT USB MODE IS SET = PC

At first, I did not know what you were talking about, until I carefully went through the Setup in the camera. Mine was set to "auto detect," so I switched it to PC just in case that would have made a difference.

Note: The manual states to turn on the camera before plugging in the USB cable. With my FZ7, I plug in the cable, then turn the camera on & WINXP recognizes the camera. I would think that FZ28 should work similarly.

I have tried both ways. I have tried powering up the camera before and after it was connected to the PC. Perhaps there is a specific order that the USB needs to be hooked up. For instance, do I need to plug the cable into the camera first and then plug into the PC, is it the reverse, or does it matter?

Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:57 PM   #4

Does your laptop have memory card slots? If so remove the memory card from the camera and try it in the proper slot. The computer should see it as another drive.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:51 PM   #5

Thanks bayourebel and thanks again sdromel!

Problem solved! Before posting my issue to the forum, I had done some research and found that using a smart card reader resolved related problems (see my first post) for other people. This evening, I took the camera back to the store I purchased it from and asked them to hook it up to their computer to check it out.

The result was, their computer did not recognize the camera either. The associate helping me took my memory chip out and placed it into his converter drive and that did the trick. I bought it, took it home and BINGO...problem seems to be resolved.

Though I was frusterated with the situation, I am glad it happened because I think the converter drive is going to be quite useful. What is that cliche -- Ya learn something new every day...right?

Now maybe I can start learning how to take pictures with this thing!

BTW, I bought the camera from MicroCenter. There are not too many out there, as they are not a "big box" place like Best Buy, but they like to keep their customers happy. Their associates are not as camera savvy as say a local camera store, but they know enough to direct the average person looking for a P&S camera. Their prices on cameras are not so competitive though, but when they have sales, prices come down a bit. In fact, I think camera month will be sometime in April, they put everything camera related on sale then.