Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:02 AM   #1

Just wondering which method do most people prefer. Coming from a point and shoot, I am still not used to the small EVF. I am taking all my pictures using the LCD so far, even in bright sunlight. Is there an advantage using the EVF? Thanks,

RC
rwcheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:08 AM   #2

I use the EVF for all situations except when the camera is on a tripod. It just seems more natural to me.
rfdandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:42 PM   #3

If I can use aneyelevel finder, be it the optical finder of a DSLR or the EVF on my FZ28, that's what I do. You need to use whichever allows you the bestchance to hold it steady and get good, sharp images. I find using the camera up to my eye gives me a much steadier holding ability, but I also use a TZ5that hasno finder at all other than the LCD and seem to do just fine with it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 5:32 PM   #4

Don't have the FZ28, but on the FZ50 I use whatever seems most comfortable at the time. In bright sunlight I mostly use the EVF. Also use it where I need to shoot from eye-level. In most other situations I use the LCD.
Bottom line, I probably use the LCD 75% to 80% of the time.
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:17 PM   #5

Thanks for your inputs. I tried using the evf today and found that I can get a more steady shot. However, because the evf is so small, a lot of the times I can't tell if the subject is in complete focus. I have to play with it some more.

Another thing, do you guys turn the i.exposure on? if yes, which setting? low, standard, or high?

RC
Old Feb 9, 2009, 1:25 AM   #6

rwcheng wrote:
Quote:

Another thing, do you guys turn the i.exposure on? if yes, which setting? low, standard, or high?

RC
I personally love the intelligent exposure option. On the TZ5 it was only available on or off...not in the variable power options, so it's always on. On my FZ28 I always have it on and at the highest setting to try and generate the best dynamic range in any scene I shoot.

Olympus includes this same type feature on their DSLR's in a gradation setting called Auto which winds up doing pretty much the same thing and I always leave it turned on with my E520 DSLR too.

These days I am trying to do more and more in-camera to cut down on my time in post processing. I willnever completely eliminate making adjustments after the shot on my computer, but both Panasonic and Olympus have implemented this feature very well in their processing engines.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:33 AM   #7

Forgetful as I am, most often I find I haven't taken my spectacles and HAVE TO resort to EVF which has adjustments to compensate for the vision defect. Otherwise, I need to stretch my hands as much as possible to get a clear view of the LCD. There have been occasions whereholding the cameraat eye-level was impossible and the screen looked slightly fuzzy, but I have simply relied on the auto-focus and got good results too.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:53 PM   #8

In general, the EVF is preferred, especially in bright outdoors as the surrounding ambient light can make ascertaining the image more difficult when using the LCD.

In low light, the EVF is preferred because it affects night vision less & is less obtrusive in, say, a night club.

Also, I believe that the camera can be held more steady when using the EVF if a portion of the hands are allowed to rest against the face (usually the cheeks).

LCD is suitable for non-critical macros and especially high angle (HA). (I dont need to use HA often, but when it is needed, it sure is handy & does the trick. Be sure to remember this useful feature.) Also, LCD is preferred if you are requesting a person unfamiliar with the camera to take a PIX.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2009, 10:54 AM   #9

After using the EVF more now, I think I prefer using it more. My shots seem to be a bit more sharp. Some latest pics using the EVF. Thanks everyone for your inputs.

rc

Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:35 AM   #10

Great shots, crisp and clear. The flower is beautiful. Can we have a side view please?
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote