Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 25, 2009, 11:09 PM   #11

Default LX-3 Camera

Well, Interested Observer, I must admit that I was tempted to just move onward, while not looking at your photos-

But, personally I am facing a huge challenge right now. Do I return to DSLR cameras, even though I hate their bulk, size, and weight? I said to myself, why not give it a try, you have always been a firm believer in the digicam challenge to the DSLR camera industry.

Well, to be really honest, I am i awe of your photos! Were they really all handheld, even the one at 6 seconds?? Come on, please be serious with me please! I have really been around for a good long time. Hand holding a 6 second exposure, does not seem to be realistic at all! Have I missed something??

I am right on the brink of another HUGE decision. I have continually rejected the DSLR answer to really good IQ. This weekend I have been tossing around which direction to go, and then you, Interested Observer, a person who I have always respected, comes up with these Panasonic LX-3 images.

My gosh! Where do we go from here? Perhaps you have the answer with the LX-3. Honestly, this is going to take more research. Thanks for posting your LX-3 photos. There are really impressive.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 11:28 AM   #12

Great shots in such slow speeds (although the very first one is very blurry - lots of camera shake there). My fav. is #7 (Harbor), even with the horizon being a bit tilted.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 11:46 AM   #13

Shooting at 1/6 hand held is really not out of the question these days. IS systems are working better and better. I've taken some real clean shots at 1/6 with the Sony H1, Pana FZ18 and FZ28. Noise however, is another matter. The LX3 has a bigger sensor than most P&S (1/1.63" as opposed to the standard 1/2.5" or the slightly bigger 1/2.33" used on newer models) and as a result, images are much cleaner at high ISO, which helps a lot when shooting in very low light conditions. To me, the biggest limitation of the LX3 is its 2.5x optical zoom lens. Yes, images can be significantly cropped because of its high resolution but, the result is not quite the same. As for whether it substitutes a DSLR or not, I think not. Now, it can certainly complement a long zoom but I think it's best served as a DSLR alternative when going to places where carrying a backpack full of camera gear is not desirable.

Tullio
Old May 27, 2009, 2:28 PM   #14

Well i have just orderd my LX3, should be here in a couple of days, and those are some great shots, for such a small camera
Can ya give me a few pointers on the Lx3, is it as good as there saying?
This just might be the camera, that makes me sell my Nikon Dx2 and all my gear
regards
Josh
Doc_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 3:33 PM   #15

Let's nlot get too excited here. I don't have the LX3 so, to a certain extent, I can't say too much. Yes, it appears to be a great little (or perhaps not that little) camera, not only on specs but from the many many posts with sample shots I've seen on the internet. However, I doubt any serious DSLR user will consider the LX3 as a total replacement to their DSLR gear (I'm not saying you are not a serious user, Josh, so please don't take me wrong). The LX3 has its limitations, such as fixed 2.5x zoom lens, no EVF (I personally despise LCDs), high battery consumption for such a small camera, etc. I do think, however, that it fully complements any DSLR system and aqdd a lot of convenience and flexibility when going on vacation. The question is, if you want to have a small camera to take on trips where carrying a DSLR system is not practical, should you have a camera suxh as the LX3 or something like the ZS3, where you get the small compact size but with 12x optical zoom, the same LCD resolution, the same # of MP, same video capability, ...

Tullio
Old May 27, 2009, 4:14 PM   #16

Yea i think i was, getting a bit to excited, Lol, im now going to use, the lx3 as my backup camera, besides i no i would miss my dx2 and all the money ive put into it
regards
Josh
Old May 27, 2009, 10:10 PM   #17

Josh-

I sincerely believe that all of us would be very quick to re-affirm that the LX-3 will never supplant a good DSLR camera in all photo situations. However, there is no denying that the Panasonic LX-3 does indeed become an easy to carry, very high quality alternative to that DSLR camera when it is your desire to leave those multiple lens and even perhaps multiple bodies behind for the outing.

Here in the USA we see to be facing the fact that the LX-3 is in most cases out of stock and unavailable at most retailers.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 12:14 PM   #18

I agree with Sarah here. However, I still find the 2.5x zoom lens very limiting. It works well on landscape or real close subjects but if you try to close up on that bird sitting on a tree branch, forget it!

Tullio
Old May 28, 2009, 2:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I agree with Sarah here. However, I still find the 2.5x zoom lens very limiting. It works well on landscape or real close subjects but if you try to close up on that bird sitting on a tree branch, forget it!
I only want it for the landscape and macro, so i dont have a problem with, the zoom, plus i only shot raw, which is the other reason i went for this, Oh and the realy good looks, i think the camera looks stunning, plus the accessories, you can get, even though in my opinion, they are rather exspensive
And now to make matters worse, i got to wait till monday for mine to turn up
regards
Josh
Old May 28, 2009, 6:18 PM   #20

It sounds like you have it all figured out, Josh. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the images from your LX3. Talking about shooting in RAW, I don't know about the LX3 but I have the FZ28, which also has RAW capability. I found that the in-camera JPEG conversion is very good and in most cases, I had to work hard PP'ing the RAW files to match the JPEG IQ produced by the camera. So, now I shoot primarily in fine JPEG.

Tullio