Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 19, 2009, 8:54 AM   #1

:blah:Just kidding!

Actually I have got my hands upon Nikon 6T, close up adapter lens. As I understood from many posts (a long back) and also from the lens brochure, it allows focussing closer , that is to say I should be able to focus more than 3X on FZ-20, in Macro mode. Right?

I took my FZ20 from its resting box and called it for some old close up action. I mounted the 6T on the FZ-20 using the supplied extension tube which has threded end of 72mm, with 72-62 stepdown ring.

When I went for field test I found that it still doesnot focus beyond 3X. Am I missing something?
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2009, 9:55 AM   #2

When using a macro lens, the distance at which you can focus on your subject is very specific and tight.

The easiest way to find this point is by zooming in fully (or where ever you want it to be), and hold the cam very close to your subject. then gradually move the cam away from the subject until it gets in focus. (other way round might work, but it's rather difficult to aim at your subject when it's completely blurred

With my FZ50 @ full tele, and a hoya +5 macrolens I get a distance of about 25 CM and a margin to the focus extremes of just over a few CM.

Have a good one!
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:12 AM   #3

I tried the same. I kept my lens in full telly and tried focussing from varying distances, with camera in macro mode. It works. The distance is about the same as in your case, that is about 25cm.

Thanks for the tip.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:00 AM   #4

i have a Nikon 6T as well (i'm surprised you can still get them!), and though i don't use my old FZ20 much anymore, it remains a very capable camera, within its limits. the Nikon 6T will in fact allow you to focus at 12x, but only within a very specific range. the camera needs to be about 12" (30cm) away from the subject, and the DOF will be quite shallow. move even half an inch outside that distance, and you can't focus. it's tough to hand-hold steady enough, even with OIS on, to shoot macro at 12x, you really need to use a tripod, or at least a seriously sturdy bracing position, to keep the camera within that narrow focusing range.

also, you might look into a better quality adapter tube than the one that comes with the camera. i have a Phayee 62mm adapter, which accepts the Nikon 6T without a step-ring, and also lets me use other filters like polarizers, etc. they're inexpensive, metal, and much more durable (and attractive) than the cheesy plastic thing that came with the camera...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2009, 2:48 PM   #5

Thanks Squirl!

I tried to get the phayee adapter , but it seems they are no longer avaiable. Got the 6T second hand but almost new, and then thought to give my FZ-20 some air. I have been able to shoot macro handheld in good light and the size was many times bigger than earlier (without 6T).
Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:06 PM   #6

You will need a step-ring but I have two of these, one each for my FZ10/FZ20. Yep, still have them as well as my FZ1v2. I use the Raynox 1540 teleconverter with them (my FZ's). Like the results. I am not sure how well it will work with your 6T combined with a step-ring.

Here is the link:

http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...ow-afz20p.html
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote