Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 21, 2009, 2:26 AM   #1

I took a walk around the neighborhood this evening and took the LX3 along. The more I have this camera, the more I find this relatively wide fast f2 lens just wonderful. It fits in my coat pocket pretty nicely - its not as small as the Canon ELPH line, however I would never attempt something like this with my old SD500.

It's not a dSLR replacement, but it supplements it extremely well. A f2 lens for my Pentax (Pentax glass) would run at least $700 and not nearly be this portable (also the wife would not be a happy camper with the bill).

Here is just one image - f2, ISO 80, 8 seconds at 24mm. Right out of the camera, reduced and cropped a bit. I am just using the IA mode, and have just barley began to experiment with the manual modes.

Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2009, 1:56 AM   #2

Well here are a few more....
Attached Images

Old Feb 23, 2009, 2:02 AM   #3

Attached Images

Old Feb 23, 2009, 2:14 AM   #4

Attached Images

Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:08 PM   #5

I can't believe nobody has commented! Those are awesome pictures! I especially like #3, with the clouds and the trees being back lit.
mikeb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:12 PM   #6

Those pictures are beautiful, what settings did you use??? I have a DMC-LZ3 and I've been playing with the settings but still haven't figured out how to do night photos or ones with hardly and light which really blows since I had tons of shots on our vacation but none of them turned out.
Pooke31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:41 AM   #7

There is no doubt the LX3 is a capable camera for night photography. I've seen many impressive night shots taken with it. It's too bad that the camera is pretty much unavailable (unless you pay an arm and a leg for it, which I won't).

Pook, according to IO, he shot in iA mode and in this mode, the camera uses its own presets based on the light conditions and such. To take successful night pictures, you need one of the two: a camera with a fast lens (f2.0 or less), good high ISO noise control and a good image stabilization system, or a tripod (some times a combination of both). The LX3 has all three ingredients. The LZ3 on the other hand, has a slower lens (f2.8) and good IS system but horrible high ISO noise control, which means you probably need a tripod if you don't want to bump up the ISO above 400.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:00 PM   #8

Evening and thanks for the comments. This board has been somewhat quite especially on the LX3, so I have not been dropping by as often.

Just as Tullio indicated, I just used IA mode, and the camera selected the rest, although I probably took several images since at times IA does not expose long enough, especially in this environment. I did not use a tripod, but I set the camera on something solid, held it down and pushed the shutter, while holding my breath, not wanting to move. I did lock the ISO to 80, so as to increase image quality and reduce the potential for noise. They were shot as JPG and are right out of the camera.

I was able to pick up the camera in late January or early Feb for about $420 before the price just went crazy. I do like the unit very much, just the right size for me, especially on business trips when taking a dSLR is just impractical.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 4:25 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies... So with the LZ3 that I have I'm still struggling with getting good night shots, is there another camera that I can look at that would be better suited for me that will be good for night, sports etc. When I bought this camera 3 years ago it was mostly for my sons sports, never really took any other pics but now I've been trying to take better pics on our holidays' etc and just not having the best of luck at night... Should I maybe look at a more professional type camera that can do more??? I don't know I"m so dumb when it comes to this stuff...
Pooke31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:56 PM   #10

You might want to consider moving up a notch to a DSLR. They offer better high ISO noise control (good for night shots) and faster AF (ideal for sports photography). There are very good entry level models at very reasonable prices.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote