Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 25, 2009, 5:22 AM   #1

Hi.

I'm a new user of Panasonic DMC-LZ8.
Just at the beginning I've noticed, that when switch into P (AE) mode, and disable the flash (forced flash off), the Exposure Compensation doesn't work. I did following: I took 3 pictures. First-one with default EV (EV=0), then I set EV = +2, took a picture, and I set EV = -2, and took the last picture. In the end, all three pictures are identical! Do you have the same problem, or is my Lumix broken?
tomeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2009, 3:10 AM   #2

Could it be too dark? My LX3 normally don't go beyond 1 second shutterspeed in P-mode (forced minimum shuttterspeed in that mode). Can take it to 2 sec if bracketing.

Have you tried in bright circumstances?
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 3:29 AM   #3

Hi.

Well I tried in brighter conditions (during the day - it works fine), but what if I want to take the pictures in the evening without using flash?

But I found the reason why it didn't work yesterday:

Panasonic checks the shaking. If it notices the camera is beeing shaked (=kept in hand), then the minimum shutter speed is limited to 1/8 sec to avoid blurry photos. Since, in dark conditions, the aperture was open to max value anyway, there is no other parameter that could increase the exposure. So the camera decides: it is better to take underexposed picture, than a blurry - one, so it limits the shutter speed to about 1/8sec. If you take the tripod in identical conditions, then camera sees no shaking, and decreases the shutter speed (in my case to 1.6 sec), so in the end, the exposure is increased, as you preferred.

So it looks, the important thing here is, wheather you keep the camera in your hands, or use a tripod.
I didn't expect this, well sometimes I think this camera has to many rules in software (it is too intelligent). Well OK, if the user should have the full control, he has to switch to the Manual Mode.
tomeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 5:14 PM   #4

Well basically the P-mode is for snapshooting; the quick pic without having to worry. In dark conditions without the flash it isn't snapping anymore, because it will require a tripod indeed.

But this is an issue that worries me a bit. In aperture prio, I can get an auto shutter calculation up to 8 seconds. But in manual mode it (both LX3 and FZ50) don't bracket beyond a 2 second exposure! That's rather strange. It can obviously be overcome by boosting the sensitivity, but that hurts with the smaller CCD's..
Well, it isn't a big issue, untill you start HDR panorama's :arrow:
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote