Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 26, 2003, 4:30 PM   #1

Default FZ10: I don't like what I'm seeing

I've posted nearly the same message on dpreview's forum.

I've posted a lot of enthusiastics messages everywhere about my FZ1 and I've waited for first FZ10 impressions and shots.

I don't like what I'm seeing.

The images aren't well defined ("noisy") yet at ISO 50.

But the main lack is the COLOR FRINGING at each bright/dark transition.

You can solve the noise problem with NetaImage or other softwares, but you CAN'T remove color fringing; there's the overall image definition that suffers.

This camera is unable to resolve the bright/dark transitions. I think it's not an optical problem but a processing lack.

Now I understand Panasonic Bob's claims to wait the latest firmware; you must work still a lot on it.

I'll wait for serious reviews (dpreview's and steve's) to have a clear idea, but I don't like what I'm seeing.

I hope LC1 will be better, a lot better.
setsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2003, 5:08 PM   #2

Thank's for your answer at dpreview's forum
Limerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 6:19 PM   #3

Default fringing

no comment
Humble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2003, 10:34 PM   #4

Default yer

The point is, you shouldn't have to use software to remove noise and fringing in the first place. Not when it's possible for a camera to do it through it's firmware etc, and when other cams do it quite well.
richardmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 8:16 AM   #5

I don't consider my hp215 much of a digicam at all so I am without a doubt a 'newbie'. I have an FZ10 on pre-order but waiting for its review and holding off pre-judging its capabilities.
However I do agree with the sentiments of richardmanley "The point is, you shouldn't have to use software to remove noise and fringing in the first place."
I want to take up the hobby of 'picture taking' not 'picture post editing'.
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 9:29 AM   #6

Color fringing was the result of poor YUV pixel alignment. For example, it resulted in a thin outline of blue on pink / red objects. I caught that early and it's been corrected. As I said, the on line photos were using pre release firmware.
Bob
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 9:29 AM   #7

Color fringing was the result of poor YUV pixel alignment. For example, it resulted in a thin outline of blue on pink / red objects. I caught that early and it's been corrected. As I said, the on line photos were using pre release firmware.
Bob
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 9:47 AM   #8

Bob,
Does the fz10 released in Japan on the 24th have the FINAL firmware? The same firmware that will be in the fz10 we are expecting in the US in November?
Apparent samples from an fz10 purchased in Japan and posted over the weekend at
http://www.geocities.jp/astrodeng/FZ10samples.html
have resulted in alot of concern regarding noise and fringing on the dpreview forum.
Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 10:27 AM   #9

Default firmware version

In exif is information that it is firmware 1.05 - is this final verion?
grun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 10:36 PM   #10

I can't reply to this thread at DPReview (where it's a tad more heated) because their rather poor message board system never sends me a password...to ANY email account I've tried to use to register (and I have over a dozen). But I'm glad to find the same discussion here.

I own a FZ1 and here's my take on what I'm seeing with the FZ10:

I would like to see sample pictures from the FZ10 in full auto mode. The reason I say this is because despite what every wannabe "pro" thinks of their photography skills, they're probably going to get the best pictures 99% of the time in full auto mode when using a consumer level digicam. For every setting that they put in manual mode, are they making proper adjustments to the other settings to account for it? I doubt it -- especially doubt it when I see sample pictures from the FZ10 that are far worse than what I'm getting with my FZ1, and I'm no pro.

Trust me, I can easily take very bad pictures with my FZ1, and then post complaints about its capabilities, flaws, etc. I can also take professional quality pictures with my lowly 2.0mp FZ1 that truly amaze the "pros".

Even the "professional reviews" of the FZ1 complain about things that are easily remedied if you just use the camera properly. For example, complaining about the EVF being "useless" in low light. Taking a picture at 50 ISO in low light is also "useless", especially with a consumer level digicam flash. Put the ISO in Auto mode, and hey...look at that, you can use the EVF in low light, and your pictures turn out a lot better in low light, too. Yet this is considered a "negative" in just about every FZ1 review I've read. Just use the camera properly!

In summary, I wouldn't believe the output or performance of a camera until it's in my hands and I can look at my own pics.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote