Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 11, 2009, 7:11 AM   #1

Hi,

I have just upgraded my old Olympus C750UZ to a Panasonic FZ28 (after much research and reading this forum).
I must say it is a great camera, though I haven't had the opportunity to go out and play with it yet!

I have noticed that there is a low-level 'whirring' sound, that appears to be coming from the lens, when the zoom is out.
(I cannot hear it when the camera is set to wide-angle)
I think it may be the image stabilisation, as when I switch IS to 'Off' or 'Mode 2' the sound stops.
It is only noticeable when the IS is 'Auto' or 'Mode 1'.
It is very quiet, and is only apparent when I am alone in a room, trying out the numerous functions that the camera has to offer.

Is this normal?
Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance
Barry
BarryFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2009, 8:38 AM   #2

Normal.......The IS works all the time in mode one,and only when you click the shutter in Mode2.

IMHO mode 2 is more effective, and easier on the battery.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 9:43 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.
I was 'hoping' that this was normal.

Also you have answered my follow-up question 'What is the best IS option?'
By the sounds of it, you use mode 2, which only takes effect when the shutter is released.

Thanks again
Barry
Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:07 PM   #4

That is what I use but I know of others that feel mode one is better.....so my advice would be use both and form your own opinion.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:03 AM   #5

Thanks for that.

How do the different 'modes' affect the IS?

I believe that mode 1 is active all the time, whereas mode 2 only uses the IS when the shutter is depressed (and auto is a combination of the 2).
But what effectively is the difference?
Why does it matter?

Can anyone else tell me what they use and why?

How 'heavy' on the battery is using either auto or mode 1 as opposed to mode 2?

Regards
Barry
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:07 AM   #6

I believe the people that benefit from mode one are people with very steady hands and a good handholding technique.....the benefit to them is they get a more accurate focus on exactly what they are trying to focus on as the image stays still.

But someone with shaky hands ,such as me, I shake too much and the stabilizer can not keep up with me and moves all over the viewfinder.

Panasonic says and I agree that mode 2 is usually more efective. now they seem to say that on high magnification shots Mode 1 may be helpful , I think because of the ability to lock focus on exactly what you wish. But that does not help me in fact its just the opposite, makes it almost impossible for me to focus. I often wonder if the people that complain about the focus on the new Pannies are having the same problem as I do and if switching to mode 2 would help with the focus problems.

I do not own a camera with the auto mode........but when I was experimenting with all the settings a few years back I found that Mode 1 and CAF was much harder on the battery. but I would not leave that dictate what I used.....I just like mode 2 and I dislike CAF so I do not use either.