Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 14, 2009, 7:08 PM   #1

I am in the process of buying an ultra zoom, I found through reading a no of sites that these 2 cameras are the 2 top contenders. I understand the SX1 is more expensive but it has some useful features over the FZ28.

Any further inputs from readers are welcome here to help me decide.

Uses for this camera: taking pictures on holidays and indoor photos.

Skill level: Beginner

Perference: Taking sharp and beautiful pictures, via manual etc, I have Canon 590 which gives me excellent photos, now I need an ultrazoom(I don't like changing lenses hence no DSLR).

Cheers.
ttan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:01 PM   #2

If this is to be your only camera and you are also willing to buy a separate flash for better quality indoor flash photography, this one's easy. I'd buy the Canonten times out of ten and get the 430EX flash as, whichever you buy, you will quickly find the built-in flash of either to not provide a very good quality of lighting.

I bought the FZ28 and it works great, but I also own a DSLR outfit and use that when I need access togood flash photography capability. For what I want out of a small megazoom the FZ28 works great, and that's a decent option for events and venueswhen I think a DSLR won't be allowed:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...88558189_RqQQc

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...54106063_3TYHC

Or if I am just out and about and don't want to be carrying my DSLR outfit:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...57535258_KuPTi

You'll note.....no flash images here. For outdoor fill flash subjects, the flash system would do a decent job, but there's no way I'd want it to be my only option indoors.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 2:26 AM   #3

Greg,

Thks for your response, since I am a novice, how to calculate the zoom, say a lense for DSLR camera of say 18-200mm, is zoom equals about 11? if I want 18-20 zoom what lense should I get?
Old Mar 15, 2009, 2:58 AM   #4

ttan98 wrote:
Quote:
Greg,

Thks for your response, since I am a novice, how to calculate the zoom, say a lense for DSLR camera of say 18-200mm, is zoom equals about 11? if I want 18-20 zoom what lense should I get?
Yes, an 18-200mm zoom is an 11x zoom.

The FZ28 is an 18x zoom. It says so on the lens barrell and most literature online will give you that number, for the FZ28 or any other digicam. The SX1 is a 20x zoom. Both the SX1 and FZ28 start at approximately the same wide angle focal length of 27-28mm, so they have a good wide angle view.

By the time you get to to the 16-20x built-inzoom setting on these cameras, the magnification is huge and your ability to hold the camera still enough to shoot at those type focal lengths is as important as image stabilization. If you are not used to shooting, or have never shotwith a lens that long, you need to figure it may take some time getting used to shooting with a lens that long. Most don't just pick up a lens that long the first time and get great-looking shots.

These two models are probably the best options today in this class of camera.

Old Mar 15, 2009, 6:54 AM   #5

I think my question is not clear. I don't mean to use an external zoom lense on SX1 or FZ28. You see my intention is either buy SX1 or FZ28 otherwise use the external zoom lense on a DLSR like Canon 450D. If I opt for a DSLR with 18 or 20 zoom lense then I will get the zoom I need and at the same time get good images from this camera.

So can indicate to me how I can get a 18 or 20 zoom from an external lense. This lense is for a DSLR not on SX1 or FZ28.

Thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:52 AM   #6

High quality18-20xlens options like that for DSLR's don't exist. About the closest you can come would be a lens like the 18-250mm zoomsthat a few makers offer, like Tamron, Sigma and a few others, and they are not good options because image quality will suffer unless you prefer easeof use to image quality.

Small digicams can have lenses like that because the sensor is so small the lenses can be made small because the image circle they have to cover is so small. If you look at the Panasonic lens on the FZ28, it is a 27-486mm f2.8-4.4 lens. That is very fast for such a lens. These 18-250mm lenses for DSLR's you can buy are f3.5-6.3, so at the 250mm end you have to be shooting in very good light at f6.3. Indoors they are prettty useless without flash.

To get that reach with a DSLR, you reallyneed a two lens combination to maintain good image quality. With my DSLR I use a combination of a 12-60 f2.8-4 and 50-200 f2.8-3.5 most of the time. I also own a70-300 f4-5.6 that is more compact and a little slower than the 50-200,so I can be carrying up to a zoom combination of 12-300mm in a high quality two-zoom combination.

With a DSLR, that is what you really need to be doing.