Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 17, 2009, 1:45 PM   #1

I recently purchased an FZ50 and need some 4GB memory cards for it.

From what I have read there seems to be some risk of buying an incompatible card, whether sd or sdhc ...... I need to clear up the confusion.

I sometimes like to shoot raw, so i need to buy the fastest that the camera can use. There is obviously no point in buying an over speed card.

Can anyone confirm which is the best type and speed of card to buy for the FZ50?

I am also considering purchasing an LX3 so would like to use the cards in either camera at maximum speed.

Thanks

joggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2009, 3:48 PM   #2

If you want to use cards 4 gb or larger in the FZ50 they must be SDHC cards and I would only buy class 6 cards.....I have no problem with most any mfg......I own and use cards from several mfg's with no problems.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 4:10 PM   #3

genece wrote:
Quote:
If you want to use cards 4 gb or larger in the FZ50 they must be SDHC cards and I would only buy class 6 cards.....I have no problem with most any mfg......I own and use cards from several mfg's with no problems.
Do you know if class 6 stores the RAW images as fast as the camera is able to output it?

Thanks
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:46 PM   #4

Not all class 6 cards are equal. Class 6 means that the card can be written to at a minimum of 6 Megabytes per second = 40X speed. Some can do much faster than that. I have several cards which are listed as 133X speed Some are evenfaster. I doubt the camera could keep up with the fastest of them.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2009, 8:56 AM   #5

All the cards I have except a Dane electic card do write as fast as the camera is able to output.....but you can get a slow card as is my case with the Dane Electric.

But you need to understand that is about a 3 second delay between Raw images.

I always buy a faster card if available for a good price . but IMHO the advantage to the faster speed is more noticable with my D80 than with the FZ's I own.

joggerman wrote:
Quote:
Do you know if class 6 stores the RAW images as fast as the camera is able to output it?

Thanks
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2009, 9:16 AM   #6

Thanks for all the advice.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:08 AM   #7

Like what Gene said, the faster cards are better with a camera that has a buffer that will allow you to continue shooting while one RAW file is being written, but in the case of the FZ50, you not onlycan shoot justone RAW file at a time, butyou thenhave to alsowait until the file is written before you are able to shoot another, and I don't think the FZ50 writes fast enough that buying the fastest card gets you that much more speed than a slower one.

Most of my cards are Sandisk Ultra II. I do have a Lexar 133x 8GB card, but it does not seem to write files any faster than the Ultra II card with the FZ50.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote