Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 21, 2009, 1:34 PM   #1

I am still unsure of which 'street' camera to buy.
GX200, LX3 are both possibles.

Thing is I am hooked on physical dials and controls, having learned my craft on film rangefinders.
The most instinctive camera I have ever come across is the DMC-LC1 (Leica DIGILUX 2). It's got everything I require.
Problem being it's no longer made.

I am considering buying a used one, and wondered if there are any owners of this camera who can offer opinions on it.
Also, are there any issues with buying this model which will obviously be several years old?

What do you think would be a reasonable price to pay for one.

Thanks
joggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2009, 3:15 PM   #2

Anyone ............ any thoughts on this?
Old Mar 27, 2009, 9:23 PM   #3
Administrator

That was a relatively expensive camera model for it's performance level, and technology has advanced a bit since it was released. It's going to be a bit on the slow side compared to many newer cameras (startup time, Autofocus time, cycle time between photos, etc.).

That's a nice lens.. But, then again, it's a 5MP model using a 2/3" CCD (which is still in the point and shoot category as far a sensor size). It does have a larger sensor and larger photosites for each pixel compared to most point and shoot camera models, which tend to use even smaller sensors with more pixels packed in. But, it doesn't compare to the sensor in a dSLR.

A check at keh.com (a very reputable vendor of used gear) shows one DMC-LC1 in stock in EX+ condition (and keh has very conservative ratings on used gear) for $525. They also have a short term warranty on used gear.

Panasonic DMC-LC1 at keh.com

You could buy an entry level dSLR model for that, and have much faster performance, lower noise levels as ISO speeds are increased and more. Of course, you wouldn't have a lens like the Leica on that model with one, which is it's best selling point (especially given that it's an f/2-2.4 lens, which is much brighter than most zooms) . lol

What do you want to shoot (and in what conditions)?

I'd make sure any camera you choose is a good fit for what you want to shoot (taking viewing/print sizes into the consideration).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2009, 8:14 AM   #4

I would be shooting street shots mainly, needing a fast response.
Also looking to shoot in B&W and trying to simulate film.