Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 2, 2009, 2:35 PM   #1

I haven't ordered an FZ28 yet and would like some input on memory cards for it.
What kind of card should I buy for the FZ28? I know Panasonic recommends at least a 10mb/s card, especially for HD video, but I'm still unclear as to just how much speedier than that, if any, I should get. I'll be shooting mostly RAW, but there will be times I'll want to burst a bit, and definitely shoot some HD video. I've seen some pretty good deals on 8gb and 16gb class 6 cards. Will the garden variety class 6 card suffice for everything this camera is capable of, or will I ever need a 100x or faster card for it?
Lazy Lens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:35 AM   #2

I'm a new FZ28 owner. I got an el-cheapo ($12.99) Dane-Elec DA-SD8192R 8gb class 4 SDHC card to go with the camera. I've done a couple of HD video tests, and so far the class 4 card seems to be entirely up to the task. At least I could not notice any skipping or problems with the videos I recorded.
Kilarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2009, 1:13 AM   #3

How well does the card hold up to burst mode(s)?
Do RAW captures seem to be written fairly quickly?

Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:45 AM   #4

To test this, put my fz28 on a tripod and aimed it at the computer running a Flash stopwatch. This was with the images set to 10m high quality jpeg. I clicked start and ran the camera in full burst mode for one minute.

I had to do this a couple of times to get everything figured out quite right, and it actually ran BETTER the first few times. There were a few hiccups on this run where the camera paused and seemed to miss one image. It didn't do that the first time. I had deleted all of the previous images so it was starting with a blank card each time, so I'm not certain what the difference was. BUT a few pauses in a whole minutes worth of burst is really not bad.

You can't use Raw+Jpeg in burst mode, so I just clicked the camera as fast as I could. It was close to 4 seconds between pics.

I used GThumb to batch convert the images down to 100x75 and dragged them all into one image in Gimp. It's not lined up real straight, but I think it will do.

Both of these test were using a Dane-Elec DA-SD8192R 8gb class 4 SDHC card in a FZ28

Hope this helps!

Attached Images

Old Apr 16, 2009, 3:26 PM   #5

Thanks for this!
Your results agree with mfg specs, according to the pdf manual I have.
Looks like I won't need premium-priced, blazingly fast cards, afterall.
This should save some coin.

Old Apr 19, 2009, 1:25 AM   #6

Glad to be of service!