Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:29 AM   #1

Tough to put into words, but here goes:

I'd like to better understand how and when the image is stabilized or locked in.

Let's assume I cannot hold the camera still, and it moves in some limited circular motion about every 1 or 2 seconds. (You can changethis conditionif it helps yourexplanation).

Once I've got basic aim of my subject matter, if I half depress the shutter button, I'll get a beep, and see an image locked in. If I press down, it will take the pic.

First question - - - is the image quality affected by the continuing motion of the camera (after the beep) or is the image quality as good as it gets since it is really the image as it was locked in?

If I instead wait too long before I press down, the locked in image will go away. I assume this means the camera memory held that stabilized image as long as it could, and now I have to half depress again.

Second question - - -So, is there any advantage (perhaps with scenario 1 above or in this scenario just described) in half depressing and waiting for the beep, then taking the picture VERSUS just pressing the shutter release down in one motion, thus expecting the camera to do it's thing (lock on the subject and then release the shutter even though I am moving the camera constantly).

If I've not asked these questions very clearly, perhaps you can give me your thoughts on how to stay within the limits of the camera's image stabilizing capabilities.

Thanks.

Al

alhuf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2009, 8:32 PM   #2

Half depressing the shutter button locks the focus butit doesn't really have anything to do with image stabilization. The half depress lets you verify that you are focused on the subject. Imagine you are taking a picture of a bird in a tree using tele-macro mode. You set the camera in spot focus mode aim and half depress, but there is a branch between you and the bird. In macro mode the camera focuses on the closest object, now the branch is insharp focusbut the bird is soft. So you release the shutter button and try again. Image stabilization uses a sensor that detects camera movement and shifts a lens in the camera to compensate for the movement. In the continuous mode (mode 1) the lens is constantly trying to compensate for movement even when you aren't shooting. This mode will help when trying to compose shots in the viewfinder, but because the stabilization lens is constantly moving,it may not be able to shift the lens into the correct position when the shutter is pressed. In the shutter press mode (mode 2)the stabilization lens is fixed until the shutter is fully pressed.

So to answer your first question, yes image quality can be affected by camera movement after the beep. Extreme movements in either mode can exceed the limitations of the satabilization, but mode 2 is supposed to be able to correct more than mode 1.

For your second question, the andvantage to half pressing the shutter, isverifying the focus to be sure your subject is insharp focus.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:42 PM   #3

Excellent reply. As I said, I'm not some real shakey photographer - I just want to use the camera settings to my advantage.

So it sounds like mode 2 is for me. Nut to be sure I understand - - - In mode 2, if I hold the shutter button half way, you say "the stabilizing lens is fixed." So I interpret that as meaning it is not really working, trying to stabilize the image. But when I fully depress the shutter, the stabilizing lens moves as needed to compensate for the movement at that fully depressing moment.

Did I get it right?

Al

Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:10 AM   #4

Yes, that is correct.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:27 AM   #5

Great. So now it will not be such a "fully depressing moment."

Love the camera.

Truly appreciate getting help from the forum.

Al

Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:52 PM   #6

I have designed similar systems for large telescopes and for use on aircraft. Vaiboy is correct with respect to how it appears to the user. What is going on inside is quit a bit, but here are a couple of sites that provide some excellent overviews. The first 2 links have demonstrations or a video...
http://gizmodo.com/5163783/how-optic...-jiggle-jiggle

http://www.canon.com/bctv/faq/optis.html

http://www.videomaker.com/article/3587/
Hope that helps...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote