Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 30, 2003, 9:25 PM   #11

The FZ1 can be upgraded (as mentioned) and I have the firmware that adds the thumbnail illumination.

They are region coded....

I have nothing for FZ2 as we are not offering it yet in the US. However, thumbnail illumination is added in FZ2 - or so I am told.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2003, 5:36 AM   #12

Thanks Bob for your response. I've been following the story very closely since about Nov last year and although I may appear a little hot under the collar I think if others understood the recent history they'd realise there have been some frustrations brewing for a long time.

It sounds like the big wigs in Japan are finally starting to listen and globalise the camera buisness. I have no idea why it's nessecary to put regional codes on camera firmware when I'm sure they all come from the same factory with the same functionality. Maybe this was appropriate for Panasonic toasters ... but digicams ??

Obviously a big company like panasonic make policy changes slooooowly.. in fact much slower than the digicam market is moving.

In the meantime I live in th UK (recently moved) and face the prospect of sending my FZ1 back to Australia where I bought the camera... if and when the regional guys in Australia ever offer the firmware upgrade. A truely rediculous situation. Unfortunately your offer to upgrade my firmware does me no good.

Nevermind... I'm actually very happy with the camera just the way it is. Bob I think you are a brave man. All the best for the FZ10.
dres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 8:40 PM   #13

Hello Panasonic!
Can you give me specifics on exactly how to get my LC5's firmware updated? Also, how do I check the current version of firmware in the camera? One more question- I also have a Leica Digilux 1, can I get the latest firmware installed on that camera as well since they are virtually identical?
alaskaphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 8:49 PM   #14

Quote:
3. You are correct in the fact that we have not previously had a firmware update site on our web pages. Previously that process required the camera be sent to our service center. That method was TOTALLY unacceptable to be and it was my highest priority woth the 2004 models. I am happy to say that all 2004 models can be easily ad quickly updated - by the end user!
Quote:
Yes & Yes
FZ10 is a 2004 model.
Actually several others are also easy upgraded, but officially all 2004's now have this feature.
Panasonic lies (or Bob does?)
Thanks alaskaphoto for pulling this topic up again.
I hope it won't be deleted.
fz_10user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 9:00 PM   #15

fz_10user- is there more to this topic that I don't know about? What do you mean "Panasonic lies"? And why would this topic get deleted? Sorry, I'm a little confused!
alaskaphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 9:20 PM   #16

Well, it's about the FZ10 firmware problem. In 2003, Bob said all 2004 models including FZ10 can easily be fixed and upgraded with firmware. Panasonic is now telling us that problems in FZ10 cannot be solved by firmware upgrade(or fix, whatever).
fz_10user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 6:35 AM   #17

Ah, but Panasonic Bob has a get out clause.

Yes, problems with the FZ10 can be upgraded via firmware.

But guess what? According to Panasonic, there are NO problems.....

Hence, no firmware upgrade for the FZ10.

And you know what of course? The FZ3/15/20 are also upgradeable by firmware.
But of course, they will have no problems either :-)
lawrencew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 7:51 AM   #18

lawrencew wrote:
Quote:
Ah, but Panasonic Bob has a get out clause.

Yes, problems with the FZ10 can be upgraded via firmware.

But guess what? According to Panasonic, there are NO problems.....

Hi Lawrence,

I don't think flaming Bob is a good way to go.

We should all calm dowd a bit...We DO have a legitimate request, and I think that we should concentrate on demonstrating it. I hope that Bob will accept to enter in a "functional bug" discussion, which would be much more productive.

Cheers,

David
ddsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 9:02 AM   #19

Yeah, I agree. I think you need to place yourself in Bob's shoes before you make disparaging comments. He has no obligation to visit this forum at all, let alone enter into any discussions. If he is to be faced with perpetual antagonism over what is, in the whoel scheme of things,a relatively minor issue, I wouldn't be surprised if he just didn't bother visiting at all any more.

I've seen this happen at other forums. When you have a forum where a company contact visits and contributes, if he is forced away through belligerent attitudes, the forum loses a lot of it's value and meaning.

Yes, there is valid point about firmware upgrades to sort relatively minor faults with an otherwise excellent camera, but bringing it up in nearly every FZxx thread starts to spoil the forum for everyone, let alone Bob.

aldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 9:55 PM   #20

*If* we do get a firmware upgrade for the FZ10, I hope it's not a token upgrade just to say "There you go!". I hope it truly improves the camera overall, but I doubt we'll see anything.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote