Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 29, 2003, 8:23 PM   #1

Default Question for Bob regarding firmware upgrade policy

Bob, in one of your previous posts you wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
All I can say is that our new line of cameras now makes firmware updates a very easy process. If / when we release products and the feedback indicates a problem, it will be relatively easy to make some tweaks. I guess Iím saying that we have to begin the process somewhere.
I was wondering, if issues like those that that people complain about here and on Phil's forum prove to be genuine, will that be a sufficient reason for a firmware update?

If so, may I suggest that, as a preventive measure, Panasonic looks into this matter before the FZ10 reaches the hands of the reviewers?
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2003, 5:23 AM   #2

To the best of my knowledge Panasonic has *never* released any firmware upgrade for one of their Lumix range cameras. I guess they're just born perfect ;-). It seems according to what Bob repeated says, that Panasonic is hamstrung by regional divisions being unable to work together ?? Sorry to vent my frustration Bob but I still see no firmware update for the FZ1 many months after you acknowledged the bug I found. I'm sure your just as frustrated (?) ... it's really a rediculous situation. I can understand that issues to do with power supplies, taxes and languages are regional... but this is software for a portable camera !!

Here's my corporate suggestion:
Move Bob to Japan and into marketing. Give him the power to say what he soever wants to. Treat firware upgrades on cameras as GLobal releases. And while your at it, sack the marketing guy in the UK who won't give phil panasonic cameras to review !!

OK my rant is over.
Nothing personal.
dres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 12:00 PM   #3

All points well noted an in agreement!
Ok, here's what I can offer as ofthis morning.
1. Firmware updates will be available as needed. These will be relaesed on a regional basis, so U.S. firmware will work for our cameras. I have asked that what we release also be made available elsewhere.
2. The FZ1 firmware is sitting here, complete and ready to go. I cannot post it until equivalent versions are available for our other markets.
3. You are correct in the fact that we have not previously had a firmware update site on our web pages. Previously that process required the camera be sent to our service center. That method was TOTALLY unacceptable to be and it was my highest priority woth the 2004 models. I am happy to say that all 2004 models can be easily ad quickly updated - by the end user!
4. The firmware for te LC5 was and still is available to any US customer, but the camera must be sent in. Thoise who requested it got it and the camera was back in their hands in 2-3 days.
5. A for he FZ1, I will gladly upgrade any US FZ1 with the same priority until the firmware is posted. PM me and I'll respond ASAP.

AND FINALLY....
I'm happy to say that we are in the process of sending out evaluation samples. Hopefully they will be shipped this week, but please don't hold me responsible if it drags till Monday or Tuesday! The PR people are doing their best.

And YES, Steves is on the list!

Please try and understand that I'm doing all I can, within the limits of where and with who I interface. I too have limitations.

I'll keep you posted as I learn more.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 1:21 PM   #4

Bob- thank very much for that information.
Even though a digicam newbie, I am quite sure I speak for a good many others who are/will read you post.
I also hope it will, for awhile, calm some members out there who have been a bit hyper at times.
Thanks again.
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 2:10 PM   #5

Bob wrote "I am happy to say that all 2004 models can be easily and quickly updated - by the end user!"
Question to Bob: Is the FZ10 a 2004 model? In the US? In Europe?
Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 2:47 PM   #6

Yes & Yes
FZ10 is a 2004 model.
Actually several others are also easy upgraded, but officially all 2004's now have this feature.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 3:18 PM   #7

Woohoo! My interest in the FZ10 is starting to come back! heh =D Still waiting for reviews though.
Tazman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 3:52 PM   #8

Bob,

Quote:
Firmware updates will be available as needed. These will be relaesed on a regional basis, so U.S. firmware will work for our cameras. I have asked that what we release also be made available elsewhere.
Are the cameras "region coded", meaning - they will refuse to accept firmware released for a different region?

Quote:
You are correct in the fact that we have not previously had a firmware update site on our web pages. Previously that process required the camera be sent to our service center. That method was TOTALLY unacceptable to be and it was my highest priority woth the 2004 models. I am happy to say that all 2004 models can be easily ad quickly updated - by the end user!
Does that mean that the FZ1 and FZ2 are not user upgradable but the FZ10 is?

Quote:
I'm happy to say that we are in the process of sending out evaluation samples. Hopefully they will be shipped this week, but please don't hold me responsible if it drags till Monday or Tuesday! The PR people are doing their best.

And YES, Steves is on the list!
This is excellent news!
However, would you mind telling us whether there are other major digital photography sites on the list?
While Steve writes excellent reviews, I find that among US-based sites, Dave's (Imaging Resource) and Jeff's (Digital Camera Resource Page) review styles cater better to my tastes.

Thank you.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 4:17 PM   #9

Memo to Panasonic Bob's management: give him a raise and a promotion.
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2003, 4:57 PM   #10

Default No, no - don't promote Bob - just give him a big raise !!!

If you promote him we won't have his help any more. Just give him the raise he deserves !!!
Humble is offline   Reply With Quote