Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 17, 2009, 8:03 AM   #1

hi,

I am a new member here

I bought Pansonic FZ28
But what are the appropriate memory card for recording high-quality (HD) video without problems, and allow the video recording for an hour continuously without cutting.
Is 16GB SDHC memory card class 4 appropriate or not?
I need help

ktM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:12 AM   #2

There is a table on page 145 of my FZ28 manual (American English). A 16 Gb card ought to store 1 hour 8 minutes of HD video.

HOWEVER: a single clip is limited to 2Gb. So you won't be able to record an hour continuously. 2 Gb is less than 10 minutes, I think.

I use a Class 6 and have no problems. Others have reported that a Class 4 is fast enough for HD.

rfdandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:14 AM   #3

Hi ktM9,

I'm also a new member and I do not shoot HD video, so I won't comment on an appropriate card. However, I wanted to point out that the FZ28 limits the size of videos to 2-gigabytes per video.

That works out to a maxium movie length of a little less than 8 1/2 minutes in HD mode. In other words, the camera will not record a continuous hour of HD video.

I've never reached the that limit when I've taken (VGA) videos, so I've no experience of what the camera does when the video size reaches 2-gigs. I read in some other post that the camera just stops and you must press the shutter release again to start a new video file.

Look at the chart on page 145 of the operating instructions manual for more details on recording times and memory requirements.

Mike
mike_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 2:53 PM   #4

Thank you all
What about the canon SX1 IS
Will it be available in the continuous video HD recording for more than an hour?
Old Apr 17, 2009, 6:28 PM   #5

You're welcome.

This site recently posted a review of the SX1. I would read that, particularly the "Conclusion" page. I just glanced at it and it appears that the Canon also has a file size limitation.

If I were you, I'd start doing some google searches for your requirement, read reviews, etc. You could also download some user manuals from the manufacturers' web sites.

You might also post your requirement in the "General Q&A" section of this forum, asking if anyone knows of a camera that has what you need. You might try some other forums, too.

I don't know what what else you want from a camera, but you might be better off looking at a regular video recorder.

Mike
mike_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 7:14 PM   #6

Thank you once again
Old Apr 17, 2009, 8:48 PM   #7

I read this site's review of the SX1.

It totally ignored the purple fringing that's visible at the margins of all of the test shots.

By the way, the Panasonic's file size limitation is not a hardware limitation. It's simply a consequence of Panny choosing Quicktime as the wrapper for its video. Quicktime (.mov) format has a 2 Gb per file limit. Other formats have different limits, but they all have limits.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 8:58 AM   #8

Well, Is it possible to remove the limit in some way?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 10:10 AM   #9

it's a limit on the size of .mov files, so probably not.