Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 19, 2009, 1:41 AM   #1

Trying to learn how to do macro shots on my new fz28. Critique, criticism and advice are not only welcome, but requested!

Kilarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2009, 8:18 PM   #2

Very nice photo.
gwrentch03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 4:02 AM   #3

Did you use an add-on (Raynox or thread-in diopter) for this? At what distance from the subject were you?

As I'm an electronics tech who'll be doing occasional related macro work, I've been hunting online for circuit board macro images made with this camera, particularly extreme closeups of surface mount components and pcb traces.

The only one I could find is at http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...e_images.shtml of their standard macro test subject.
Their pic doesn't exactly show lettering on the SMD's very clearly, nor does it target specific SMD's or groups of traces. They merely showed crops of the wider scene. I don't suppose you have any modern-ish circuit boards around, do ya?

Lazy Lens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrentch03
Very nice photo.
Thanks! I'm trying very hard to figure out how to use a camera properly. But I'm still having the occasional problem with depth of field, focus, and especially, exposure. Which means, I'm still learning EVERYTHING!

BUT, the rule of digital photography is, if you take enough photos, a few will turn out ok just by chance.

But I'm finding that the fz28 is really helping me learn. I can let it take over much of the decision making while I play with aperture or exposure or whatever. And it makes most setting quite easy to play with. So I'm learning a lot, and I'm really LOVING this camera!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Lens
Did you use an add-on (Raynox or thread-in diopter) for this? At what distance from the subject were you?
No adapter, just the FZ28 itself. Distance from the subject was a few centimeters in fairly bright sunshine. Picture is unedited except for cropping.

I've probably got an adequate circuit board around somewhere. I'll see what I can come up with!
Old May 4, 2009, 10:46 AM   #5

Lazy Lens, I'm not sure this is what you wanted, but...
This was taken without any zoom (as you can tell by the slight barrelling, and the edges that are out of focus):

This was 77mm equiv:

Both were taken in macro mode, at ISO400, as I didn't have much light, but the noise is bearable. The camera was on a tripod, with the hood on, and hood was almost touching the circuit board. I used the 2-second timer, so I wouldn't shake the camera.

PS: Sorry that the board was dusty. I did brush it a bit before taking the pics, though!
RConsonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 11:37 AM   #6

While expectedly no match for a dSLR, these images are amazing for a P&S, especially in this price range!

Even at ISO400 with less-than-ideal lighting, the tiny component labels are perfectly legible, there's a decent amount of detail on the traces, pads and solder joints, and fringing at the shiny solder joints is virtually non-existent. These are qualities I was looking for.
I can imagine the extreme macro potential of using the Raynox lenses with this camera for this application -- micro fractures at solder joints and in traces would reveal themselves nicely.

I had already pretty much made up my mind to buy this camera and your samples have reinforced that decision.

Thank you for this!

Lazy Lens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 12:19 PM   #7

Lazy Lens wrote:
Quote:
Even at ISO400 with less-than-ideal lighting
You can say that again! I did a simple setup, with a flimsy tripod and the window shades halfway down, and was so amazed with the results that I posted the images right away. I only realized that the shots were taken at ISO400 when I was finishing up the post, and digging up the EXIF info, since I wasn't sure they would be available at the image host. I'm sure that with a proper setup and better lighting, you could get crisp ISO100 macro images.
Cheers!
RConsonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 2:37 PM   #8

thanks very much RConsonni! I've been trying to get around to this and just haven't had the opportunity.