Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 28, 2004, 9:44 AM   #11

I'm actually now using the following case:

Targus Case

It allows me to keep the barrel adapter and a filter (if the filter is attached the barrel adapter) next the FZ1 in the case, but not stored on the FZ1. I mainly bought this case for carrying around just the FZ1 and a couple extra batteries and memory cards, and I liked the idea of having a hip bag when going to parks, on vacation, etc, rather than dealing with a shoulder type bag. For that it works perfectly.

However, I also have on order a Fuji S602 case that looks like it will be a perfect fit, and appears to be very good substitute for the genuine Panasonic PS-070 case specifically designed for the FZ1/2 that is IMPOSSIBLE to find. I would've also been willing to use the PS-075 which is designed for the FZ10, but it's even more impossible to find.

Here's the Fuji case:

I'll let everyone know how it works out. I want a case like this because it's semi-formfitting and semi-hard. I had one of these types of cases with my Sony FD91 and LOVED it. I would really like to have the the genuine Panasonic one, but Panasonic doesn't seem interested in marketing these cases, and I can only find them at a Panasonic reseller in Korea. Oh, well. I might just be advertising the Fuji namebrand instead of Panasonic when I'm carrying my Panasonic camera around!

Hey, maybe if the case works out so well, I'll just trade my FZ1 in on a Fuji S602...3mp...640x480x30fps video mode...Type II CF cards (including Microdrive)...flash shoe...manual focus ring....hmmmm. Too bad it's only a 6x zoom!
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 11:03 AM   #12

In addition to FMoore's suggestion of that particular Olympus bag, if you don't mind having the Olympus namebrand on the case, here's the deal of the century

https://emporium.olympus.com/innards...sku=108408-410

It's about $5 shipped!

It's plenty big for the FZ1 (easily fits a FZ10 from what FZ10 owners say), the adapter, and some other small accessories. If the picture was confusing to you like it was to me, that's bascially a side view of the case with the logo being on a square accessory pocket. The main compartment zipper is on the top side (I believe). It's supposed to fit a variety of Olympus IS sizes, and even comes with a spacer to fit the smaller IS cameras.

Can't beat it for price, that's for sure!
Old Apr 29, 2004, 8:18 AM   #13

New FZ1 owner here and I've been having far too much fun with the spring time flora around DC. However, I need a camera case.

I just ordered the $5 version. I couldn't pass that up! Thanks for the tip!

-- Karl
dckarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 8:56 AM   #14

Let us know how the $5 case works out for the FZ1. I'm tempted to pick one up myself, but I think my wife will kill me if I collect one more case for this one camera, regardless of what a good deal it is. She's mentioned that I have more cases for my FZ1 than she does purses! :roll: ops:
Old Apr 29, 2004, 9:39 AM   #15

Will do. It should arrive early next week.

FYI, the total comes to $5.08 with shipping. Tell your wife that it is a really inexpensive purse :-)
dckarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:08 AM   #16

I think the mistake is that I already tried to buy a special, genuine Panasonic FZ1/2 case (PS-070) for a ridiculous price ($38 + $8 shipping) on Ebay. Her eyes got REALLY big ( :shock: ), but then I told her that, believe it or not, I was actually outbid for it. It eventually sold in the high $50 range. The same style case for the FZ10 (PS-075) eventually sold for $150-ish. Yes, that's US$! I bid on that one very early on, but never got out of the $30 range myself.

Are ya listening, Panasonic? Panasonic Bob has mentioned previously that there's basically no money in it for Panasonic to distribute the custom cases to various markets around the world. From my experience, I think they would end up making more of a profit on their cases than their cameras!

Thanks in advance for the "review" of the Olympus $5 case.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 11:22 AM   #17

I have the $5 case and it has its limitations in that it has no extra pockets for cards, batteries, etc. I dont particularly like the way it zips up either. Not a very good design but for 5 bucks what the hey. The black soft leather $20 Oly case mentioned earlier in this thread is a very nice case with 2 extra pockets. It handles the attached adapter with room to spare and may even have room for a Canon tl55 connected. I havent gotten that yet but my wallet's throbbing.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 5:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EffZeeOne
I think the mistake is that I already tried to buy a special, genuine Panasonic FZ1/2 case (PS-070) for a ridiculous price ($38 + $8 shipping) on Ebay. Her eyes got REALLY big ( :shock: ), but then I told her that, believe it or not, I was actually outbid for it. It eventually sold in the high $50 range. The same style case for the FZ10 (PS-075) eventually sold for $150-ish. Yes, that's US$! I bid on that one very early on, but never got out of the $30 range myself.

Are ya listening, Panasonic? Panasonic Bob has mentioned previously that there's basically no money in it for Panasonic to distribute the custom cases to various markets around the world. From my experience, I think they would end up making more of a profit on their cases than their cameras!

Thanks in advance for the "review" of the Olympus $5 case.

Yup...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...809226390&rd=1

Anybody wanna buy mine?
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 5:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerito
Sure...you'll take US$30 for it right? :shock:

Hey, I wouldn't if I had one. I admit I'd be throwing my hat into the overpriced Ebay game with this one!
Old Apr 30, 2004, 5:25 PM   #20

I received the Tamrac 5400 case...

- I think FZ1 should fit vertically with adaptor tube, a filter or two, and lens cap

- good-sized empty front zippered pocket

- lid flips up easily and velcros closed well when unzipped

- small zippered see-through pocket inside lid

- lightweight, almost flimsy, but small

- cheap strap (just a bare strap and plastic adjuster buckles)

I am fairly pleased with the purchase for casual shooting but would want something sturdier for a trip.

Carolyn
CarolynS is offline   Reply With Quote