Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 8, 2009, 3:40 AM   #21

Thank you, Tullio!

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:37 AM   #22

I love all your photos, they are just beautiful. But you said the FZ28 wasn't really good for bird photos?? I was wondering why. Yours was great. Thank You, KayC
KayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 2:06 PM   #23

Hello KayC!
Thanks again for your encouragement. I guess I was just plain lucky with this one shot.

Concerning wildlife-/ bird-photos and the appropriate camera for it. The FZ-28 is definitely a compromise for these kind of shots, and not perticularely suitet. You may get lucky and frame a (domesticatet) bird in all its splendor, but usually the FZ28 will lack enough reach, focus-ability, manual-zoom and resolution for seriouse wildlife-shots. Besides, its electronic viewfinder is useless for capturing wildlife.

For bird-pictures (at least for the really shy ones...) get a decent dSLR with a tripod, interchangeable tele-lens and its much bigger Image Sensor which will give you plenty of IQ when cropping - and cropping you'll have to do when targeting wildlife.

Don't get me wrong - I just love my FZ-28 because its a great compromise and an easy camera to carry around. I love its perfect lens and ease of use, but it will never replace a dSLR. Even for seriouse landscape-pictures I sometimes miss a dSLR with great resolution, good ISO-capability and low-on-noise results.

But then, I am no pro and I take pictures purely for my own pleasure. I have no aspirations for entering any competition, exhibition or in any way selling my work. And for that, the FZ-28 is great!

Good luck with your own Panny - its a great camera!

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:28 PM   #24

Love the clarity and detail in those shots not to mention location location location. I think I need to move to Norway or strongly consider the Pany over the SX1 or HX1.

I would gladly give up 2X for images that sharp. That place has peaceful written all over it.
Joe Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:42 PM   #25

Great photos !

So real that I almost believe Im actually there (certainly wish).
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 2:32 PM   #26

Thank you for your kind words, sdromel!

Thought I might just reactivate this tread with another-one....
Attached Images

Old Aug 30, 2009, 6:56 PM   #27

Another great shot, Walter!

Thanks for posting more of your photos. They are like a breath of fresh air. Wow!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 3:25 PM   #28

Thank you Sarah Joyce for your kind words.

There was nothing spectacular about this last one. It's easy to impress, when one lives within such beautiful landscapes.

Would like to "show off" another one, that could be representative for the long summer-evenings here in Norway, with an almost midnightsun-like appearance. The sun sets (in the middel of June) at about 11:PM thereby creating such lovely scenes with warmth and serenity.

This picture was taken approx. 30minutes after the sun had dissappeared below the horizon (after the one picture in #19 of this tread). This is usually when the best colours are to be seen.
Enjoy!
Attached Images

Last edited by Walter_S; Sep 1, 2009 at 3:34 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 10:27 PM   #29

Wow -You should be doing all the marketing shots for Norway travel.

I can't decide if the Panasonic is just one great camera or if its Norway that is catching my eye. I have followed this thread and have taken a great interest in the new FZ35 as I see reports and pictures.

I don't have a clue what I am doing and I don't have an up to date camera. When some people talk of obvious noise or some other flaw in a shot I am going..where? Looks good to me.

What I do know is that I seem to keep coming back to these great pictures by Walter and others and a lot of them are just P&S automatic taken with the 28 or now the 35.

I keep comparing between the different cameras I am interested in and it seems like the Panasonic wows me more image wise. I am a gimic man but....I am impressed. I wish I could sit at a table with all these great cameras and shoot these Norway scenes and see what the real truth is.

In any event Walter - I envy your talent and your country! Decisions Decisions Thanks for sharing both.
Joe Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 2:36 PM   #30

Thank you, Joe!

Norway has som nice places to photograph, especially in the summer. And, yes - my Panasonic FZ-28 has served me well and I am truly content with my pick of camera.

Deciding what camera to buy is never easy and I understand your uncertainty about which camera to choose. I was there about a year ago when I decidet for the FZ-28, which I actually won in a boatbuilding-contest ( http://baatplassen.no/i/index.php?showtopic=40375) here in Norway.

Instead of the FZ-28, I could have chosen a dSLR as long as i keept within the $ 1.500,-bracket I won. But I wanted to have a small, lightweight and responsive camera, without the need to carry along spare-lenses for every opportunity. In the FZ-28 I have all I need from 27mm wideangle to 486mm tele, and I do not need to worry about dust on the image sensor, when changing lenses.

There is no ideal camera - one has to chose ones camera for ones needs - as simple as that, providet of cours, that you realise what your needs will be.

As for noise - yes, the FZ-28, as all P&S-cameras, produces noise because of the small size of its CCD - but then, the small CCD made it possible to build this small size camera with such long (27mm to 486mm) range.

Because of its size, my FZ-28 goes everywhere I go, everday. Its so small and light it does not hamper me in any way.

Did I ever regret for not choosing a dSLR instead of the FZ-28? Yes, sometimes when I look (pixel-peeping) at a well exposed and composed picture of mine, I regret for not having shot it with a dSLR and getting better sharpness and less noise.

But then I think that had it not been for the FZ-28, I would probably have missed this shot alltogether because my dSLR would be at home.

Thank you again, for your kind words and I wish you luck with the choosing of YOUR perfect camera! May you find what you are looking for.

Walter_S
Attached Images