Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:32 AM   #31

Walter-

Just a thought but you have, in these photos the making of a beautiful calendar. They would certainly be cheerful, beautiful, and upbeat during the wintertime when you have a wholly different weather pattern to deal with for weeks on end.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:33 AM   #32

Default Seaside rocks of Norway:

Here is another one in my series "Norwegian Seaside Rocks" - one of my favorite motives to shoot.

I love the sea, sea-shores and boating (my #1 interrest) very much. In fact, photography is just about to outnumber this, or so it seems...

I like to combine these two strong interrests.

Suggestions and comments are welcome - and, Yes - its a HDR with 3 handheld (!!!) exposures.

Edited later: 3 Handheld exposures made up this HDR - mainly possible because the FZ-28's stabilizer is so effective and of course that PhotoMatixPro3 is a good software.
Attached Images

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Sep 3, 2009 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Rectifying spelling errors (english is difficult - at times)!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 2:58 PM   #33

Default Orton Effect applied to landscape - First try!!

Hello folks,
Was reading about the socalled Orton-effet the other day and looked for information on the net. There seems to be a handfull, or more, ways to achive this special effect that Micheal Orton gave the name to.

It was rather soothing and pleasing to work with this, as I have a "soft spot" for "over-the-top"-expressions. Not every-one's cup of tea, but well worth trying.

Trying to create this special "look" of glowing softness, combined with sharpness (I know, it sounds contradictory, but....) creates a new, fairytale-like atmosphere.

Have a nice day!

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!
Old Sep 12, 2009, 8:20 AM   #34

Default Another one in my series "Norwegian Seaside Rocks":

I myself fell for the texture on the rocks (sounds almost like a drink! ) and the reflecting colours from the sky.

Do you think its too dark? Should I dodge the rocks somewhat?

Comments welcome:

Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:51 PM   #35

Default Old Wooden Boats:

Sunday afternoon was time for a visit to new grounds along the local coastline to get som new shots for HDR-renderings. I'v fallen somewhat for this new technique, as the outcome is ever so unexpected and different from your last try. Strange things happen sometimes, when you assemble exposures this way.

This time it was some old wooden boats, well past their prime, that cought my eye. They all look like someons (shattered?) dream and may well end up as someons nightmare. It's quite obviouse that most of those "projects" never will make it through planned repair and make-over.

Which one do you prefer?

Enjoy!

Old Sep 14, 2009, 6:12 PM   #36

Those pictures a gorgeous. I particularly like the effects on the first one. It looks like a print on canvas. Well done! What camera mode do you use for those landscape photos?

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Sep 15, 2009 at 11:26 AM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 7:11 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
... What camera mode do you use for those landscape photos?
Thank you for your appreciation, Tullio!

I dont do anything special, other than use P and - knowing the soft underbelly of the FZ-28 - always keep its ISO to 100, never more than 200 if I'm in a bind.

Although it puzzles me sometimes, when I check my EXIF-data on some shots it says ISO = 160 - which is strange, since the FZ-28 only has settings for 100 - 200 - 400 - 800 and 1600 . ISO 160 does not exist in the camera's settings (!?!?!).

For planned HDR-exposures I usually use A (mostly 6,3) and let the camera decide shutterspeed, within the ISO100 bracket.

Exif-Data on the mid-exposure of picture #1:
Make - Panasonic
Model - DMC-FZ28
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 180
YResolution - 180
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software -
DateTime - 2009:09:13 16:48:19
Artist - Walter Xxxxxxx
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
Copyright - Walter Xxxxxx
ExifOffset - 294
ExposureTime - 1/500 seconds
FNumber - 7.10
ExposureProgram - Normal program
ISOSpeedRatings - 160
ExifVersion - 0221
DateTimeOriginal - 2009:09:13 12:58:03
DateTimeDigitized - 2009:09:13 12:58:03
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
CompressedBitsPerPixel - 4 (bits/pixel)
ExposureBiasValue - -1.00
MaxApertureValue - F 2.83
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
LightSource - Auto
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 4.80 mm
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 3648
ExifImageHeight - 2736
InteroperabilityOffset - 9896
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera
SceneType - A directly photographed image
CustomRendered - Custom process
ExposureMode - Auto bracket
White Balance - Auto
DigitalZoomRatio - 0.00 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 27 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
GainControl - Low gain up
Contrast - Soft
Saturation - High
Sharpness - Hard
Maker Note (Vendor): -
Thumbnail: -
Compression - 6 (JPG)
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 180
YResolution - 180
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 10452
JpegIFByteCount - 7711
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
----------------------------------------------------

P.S.: I myself like exposure #2 best. There is something with the curves (hips?) and direction (vanishing point?) of fiew of the boat in the middle that appeals to my eye. In hindsight I regret not having done 1 small step to the right, so as to get the bow of the boat. I think it would have helped the composition and perspective some.

Last edited by Walter_S; Sep 15, 2009 at 7:21 AM. Reason: spelling errors removed (Hopefully all of them)!
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:04 AM   #38

Nice shots as always Walter!

BTW - enjoyed your winning and rebuilding the boat link in one of your other threads. Very nice job - I can't think of better therapy! I was concerned how I would read it until I remembered the magic Goggle Translate feature.

Now I am wondering why most of your shots are on the shoreline vs from one of those beautiful boats.
Joe Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:07 AM   #39

Default Thank you, Joe Sellers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Sellers View Post
- BTW - enjoyed your winning and rebuilding the boat link in one of your other threads.

- Now I am wondering why most of your shots are on the shoreline vs from one of those beautiful boats.
- Could you actually read this Norwegian boatbuilding-tread with google-translator? Amazing!

- Concerning your 2nd question. It's because my boat has been in my back-yard since late 2007 and I am still working on it!!!

Yes - from this one can conclude that projects like that usually take 3 times longer to finnish than anticipatet and at the same time, get 3 times more expensive than anticipatet.

Once my boat is finnished and launched again - may-be primo November (?) you will get to se more and more pictures of the sea, taken from the boat, instead of from the shore-line.

There will be "salty" pictures after that!

Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:35 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
... Although it puzzles me sometimes, when I check my EXIF-data on some shots it says ISO = 160 - which is strange, since the FZ-28 only has settings for 100 - 200 - 400 - 800 and 1600 . ISO 160 does not exist in the camera's settings (!?!?!).
Thanks for your thorough reply, Walter.

This happens when you have iISO set to ON. You can cap the ISO to 200 and the camera will choose the best ISO based on the shutter/aperture values. That's one advantage of using iISO vs. setting the ISO to a fixed value.

A couple more questions, I believe you use exposure bracket to work with HDR, correct? So, which exposure value do you start up with and which software do you use to process the images? Thanks.

BTW, I can't decide which of the two boat images I like best but I'm leaning toward the second.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote