Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:07 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
...So, which exposure value do you start up with and which software do you use to process the images?
My camera-settings usually (light permitting) include -1 EV on the [EXPOSURE +-]. This is a setting I leave on all the time, as - IMO - the FZ-28 has a tendency to overexpose most of my photos anyway.

Taking HDR's I just use the Auto Bracket and set it to full - iow +- 1EV

That gives me (ususlly) enough to work with.

If it's a very bright / harsh contrasted scene I go down to -2EV on my exposure and do the Auto Bracket as before.

This works for me, usually. I'v seldom tried to use manual settings, as I'm afraid I'd rock the camera doing so because my tripod is of rather poor (cheep) design. Oh, by the BTW - when using Auto Bracketing in dim conditions, I never expose by pressing the shutter itself, but use the 2sec. Self Timer. Thus avoiding camera-shake while exposure is taking place.

My software is Photomatix Pro 3 (Version 3. 1. 3)

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:28 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
My camera-settings usually (light permitting) include -1 EV on the [EXPOSURE +-]. This is a setting I leave on all the time, as - IMO - the FZ-28 has a tendency to overexpose most of my photos anyway.
Thanks for the reply, Walter. So, let me understand you bracket settings. Do you have the Auto Bracket set to -1/+1 (in other words, increments of 1) and then set the exposure to 0 (in this case your shots will have exposures of -1, 0 and +1) or you set the exposure to -1 AND the auto bracket also to -1/+1, in which case you get three images at exposures of -2, -1 and 0?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:37 AM   #43

Default Exposure-settings:

You are correct the second time, Tullio:

"...set the exposure to -1 AND the auto bracket also to -1/+1, in which case you get three images at exposures of -2, -1 and 0? "

As I said. IMO the FZ-28 exposes just a bit on the light side, anyway, so for most of the time this does it. Of course, I check the exposures on the screen, if the burn-out-alarm blinks (which is a very handy tool!!!) , I do another round, this time with -2 EV on the Exposure and the same setting on the Auto Bracketas before.

Does it make sense?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 4:45 PM   #44

Thanks, Walter. I tend not to use exposure brackets because it takes 3x the space on the memory card. Instead, I have Highlights turned ON so if I see that a big portion of the image is over exposed (blinking highlights), I adjust the exposure and re-take the shot. Then I delete the over exposed one. However, you need the three images for HDR.

Tullio
Old Sep 17, 2009, 1:14 AM   #45

O.K. So you are shooting RAW-files then? Which I don't. Just JPEG's.

In these days of reasonable priced memory-cards, I see no point in saving space on my DS-cards, of which I have 3 different ones, giving me plenty of space for all of my shootings. I have been on shooting-sessions for a whole day with up to 4-500 10-Mp's exposures and never yet had a full card.

But everyone has its own ways of travelling towards the end-result.

Cheers!

Old Sep 17, 2009, 4:56 PM   #46

I used to shoot RAW but then I realized that the FZ28 does such a good job converting RAW to JPEG that it is not worth it for me to spend the time PP'ing images. So, now I shoot JPEG. I have a couple of 4 Gb cards and one 2 Gb card. I ran out of 4 Gb in a day (w/o using bracketing).

Tullio
Old Sep 22, 2009, 1:13 PM   #47

Default At 5 o'clock in the morning - waiting for the sunrise.

Another one - this time a bit of a 'BLUR'.....

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:41 AM   #48

Default View from the island of Stokken in Norway:

That last "blurred" pic was not one of my best, so I'll try to do a little better this time.....

A few days ago I sensed that it would be one of those mellow evenings with this fantastic soft light, grabbed my camera and tripod and went off to catch some late afternoon- / early evening-expressions.

I like those soft minutes when everything looks like something out of a fairytale
To start with ther was this couple of white swans quietly swimming around just in the foreground by those two black rocks to the right in the picture. By the time I set up my tripod and camera, they were gone...

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!
Old Sep 26, 2009, 3:26 AM   #49

Default Hey, its autumm, isn't it...?

I posted this pic in the C&T section under the title: Gray stone house-front with autumm-vail.

Early, early in the morning - the sun had just broken trough as I went for HDR-motive-hunting...
I just could not resist this house-front as it had such a lovely autum-vail of brightly coloured leaves as make-up.

Annoyingly there was a rather large "For Rent"-sign in white and blue plastic all over the front further up towards 2nd floor, so I had to crop tightly on top and cut the top of the crest.

Take care!

Old Sep 26, 2009, 4:03 AM   #50

Another very nice one. Today I downloaded the trial version of Photomatix and found it not to be as easy to use as I first thought. The first problem is that I was not using any tripod so the three images I got from the exposure bracketing were not 100% identical and as a result, the combined image was not clear at all. Then there was the various options to do HDR, which I could not quite figure out how to tune them. I will try again tomorrow.

Tullio