Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:57 AM   #71

The pictures are really nice. Is Post Processing the only way to achieve nice images with the FZ28 ?....I'm looking into buying the FZ35/38 for my wife and would like to know what are the results users are getting from it ?
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 11:15 AM   #72

Post processing is pretty much part of life when it comes to digital photography. However, there are many levels of PP, from a simple crop or straighten up the horizon a bit to fancy HDR processing (and Walter is very good at it) to RAW processing and anything in between. The FZ28 is a great camera. I've taken over 1500 pictures with mine and although I do some degree of post processing, many many shots look perfect right out of the camera. I can't say the same when it comes to my Sony A200 DSLR.

I believe that the trick is to fine tune the camera settings (Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation and Noise Reduction) to your liking. There is not a single camera of mine that I use with its default settings. I like sharp images, colors not too saturated and preserved highlights (as much as possible) and the default values hardly ever will give you that. Usually Noise Reduction tend to be on the aggressive side in order to control high ISO noise, at the expense of resolution and details, saturation is also high since manufactures believe most users prefer strong colors and sharpness is usually mild to prevent noise. So, unless I make some changes to the settings, chances are I will not be happy with the results right out of the camera.

I haven't read much about the FZ35 so I don't know how it compares with the FZ28 but assuming they have very similar capabilities and produce comparable images, you will have to do very little PP (if any at all) to get great shots with the FZ35.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Nov 9, 2009 at 11:19 AM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:27 PM   #73

Tullio, would you go as far as saying the results are better with the F28 when compared to the Sony a200 ?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:46 PM   #74

I have not invested on very expensive lenses for my A200. I have the kit lens, a Tamron xr di 28-300mm (which can produce excellent results at f/11) and a Sigma 24mm f2.8 macro, which has served me well. So, I find myself PP'ing images from the A200 more often than from the FZ28. However, once I tweak the image, then the A200 outperforms the FZ28 particularly in low light conditions.

Tullio
Old Nov 9, 2009, 2:09 PM   #75

Our pictures would mostly be outdoors and maybe school plays (the zoom would come in handy if I'm in the back row), plus indoor birthday parties and family gatherings....But I guess I can further tweak shots from the FZ35 as well, right ?..and perhaps come close to a dslr ?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 2:34 PM   #76

You can certainly tweak the various camera settings. The FZ35 (and the FZ18/28) offers 4 custom modes you can use to save a variety of settings. By using them, you don't have to keep messing around with your P/A/S/M settings. I have saved one for indoors with flash. Basically I set to P mode, ISO to 400, standard color mode with noise reduction to +1, sharpness to +1, saturation 0 and contrast -1, WB set to flash and face detection AF. I get excellent results with these settings and all I have to do is to turn the dial to C1. The FZ28 performs better indoors than my A200 in terms of IQ.

Tullio
Old Nov 9, 2009, 2:45 PM   #77

Wow, the fz28 is better indoors then the a200 ?.....that said a lot about this camera. Believe it or not none of my local stores carry Panasonic, so I've only seen them in pictures on the internet....So I hate to buy things online and later have to return them....but, thanks for the advice.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 1:13 PM   #78

Amazon and Crutchfield are probably the best online retailers as far as return policy is concerned. They don't charge any restocking fees and offer a full refund if the return is made within 30 days. They even pay for your shipping costs (both ways), so if you are not 100% satisfied, it will cost you nothing.

Tullio
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:10 PM   #79

Tullio, thanks...what's holding me up is that for another $150 I can step up to an entry level dslr that's not much bigger and perhaps step up in IQ for low light. (Pentax k2000/km or Sony A230)....Or I can go all out and get the Pentax k-x....As of now the price on amazon is around $325 so for a little more I might consider the DSLR route. (With the kit lense of course).
Old Nov 10, 2009, 7:32 PM   #80

Well, $150+ to start up with (body + kit lens). If you want to be able to reach 450mm, you'll have to spend more $$$ and you loose portability. But, DSLRs are fun and if you have the cash, you should definitely go for it!

Tullio