Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:42 AM   #1

I just received my FZ28 about a week ago and would like to ask for some assistance with various settings. I had a Sony CyberShot DSC-S85 which I loved for many years and had fun with learning the various manual settings etc. Any help with this following questions would be greatly appreciated.

1. C1/C2 Custom settings etc: Could users please list the specific custom settings they have saved in these and what those settings are used for?

2. High-Speed Burst Mode: I did try out the high speed burst mode but am confused how you stop all the pictures after the first one from becoming blurred as you move.

3. I am using a 4 Gig SDHC Class 4 card right now (4 gig SDHC Class 6 is in the mail), I noticed that at HD quality I can record around 9 mins of video. If I want to make DVDs from the video do I need to use the HD setting or will the lower settings be ok since they will allow me to record much more time.

My wife and I just got back from Boston and I have about 300 pictures to upload. 95% of them were using IA mode but I would still like some opinions or suggestions. Thanks
ellandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:08 PM   #2

I use C1 to store settings for "one click" black-and-white. I set up the camera the way I like it for black and white and stored the setting in C1. I don't use any of the C2 settings yet, although I'm sure I will as time goes on.

I don't know where your blur is coming from--camera motion, subject motion, focus, camera shake, etc. I can't comment on that without seeing images.

You should be able to fit more than 9 minutes of video on a 4 gig card. You may be getting confused with another "feature" of the FZ28. There is a limit of 2 gigs on the maximum size of each .mov file. That would be about 8-1/2 minutes per file. There is no overriding this limit no matter how big your card is--it's a feature of the FAT32 file system. You are limited to 2 gigs per clip, period, although you can have multiple clips on the card. The only workaround is to shoot in VGA or some other mode. You'll get more video into 2 gigs.

Standard DVDs will work fine with VGA mode. Standard DVD is not an HD medium.

And the class IV card ought to be fast enough. I think the manual says you need 10 megabits/second but I couldn't find that reference quickly. I would have gone for a bigger, not a faster, card.
rfdandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 3:05 PM   #3

ellandry wrote:
Quote:
I just received my FZ28 about a week ago and would like to ask for some assistance with various settings. I had a Sony CyberShot DSC-S85 which I loved for many years and had fun with learning the various manual settings etc. Any help with this following questions would be greatly appreciated.

1. C1/C2 Custom settings etc: Could users please list the specific custom settings they have saved in these and what those settings are used for?
Quote:
You can save just about anything here. I prefer to just set my camera and not have one or morecustom settings, but some may set up a custom set for black & white, high ISO capture, etc.

2. High-Speed Burst Mode: I did try out the high speed burst mode but am confused how you stop all the pictures after the first one from becoming blurred as you move.
Quote:
As far as I can see, using the burst mode on this camera with a moving subject is a waste of effort since the electronic viewfinder cannot keep up with the subject movement, making it is virtuallyimpossible to accurately keep the subject framed. I would use it for subjects like capturing a group of race horses as they move through a specific area on the track, keeping the camera pointed at one area, or shooting a sequence of a double play at second base during a baseball game, etc, etc.....subjects that do not require you panning the camera.

3. I am using a 4 Gig SDHC Class 4 card right now (4 gig SDHC Class 6 is in the mail), I noticed that at HD quality I can record around 9 mins of video. If I want to make DVDs from the video do I need to use the HD setting or will the lower settings be ok since they will allow me to record much more time.
Quote:
Someone else will need to comment on this. I only use these cameras for still images.

My wife and I just got back from Boston and I have about 300 pictures to upload. 95% of them were using IA mode but I would still like some opinions or suggestions. Thanks
Quote:
There are many, many ways this camera can be set up. I am not familiar with the old Sony model you usedand how manual it could be set up or not, but Program would be a good, standard setting to use. Are you familiar with that setting and using overrides like the program shift option and/orexposure compensation?
Quote:
Have you looked thevarious AF options and/orimage quality settings (sharpening, noise reduction, etc.) and determined which values you prefer, or played with the intelligent exposure feature and how it can help with the dynamic range of a subject with a alot of contrast? One could write a fewparagraphs about how you could set this camera up, but not knowing how familiar you are, or are not,with these terms, what one said might or might not be helpful for you!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote