Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 31, 2003, 11:28 AM   #1

Default FZ1 focusing problem - Attn Bob

I'm not going mad I've finally nailed it !

Dear Bob, I'm sure you can remember when I listed my FZ1 BUG's many months ago you'll recall I complained bitterly about the poor focus ability of the "night portrait" mode ... then I retracted the complaint later when I couldn't reproduce the fault ?

Well I've finally figured out why I can only sometimes see the fault .... it depends on whether the flash is up or not !!

To review this mode... I realise what it is intended for. Flash photography with a long exposure to bring up the background. With the flash up the maximum exposure time is 1 second with Fstop fixed at 2.8 However this mode is also usable with the flash down (ignore the message) then the Fstop is fixed at 6.5 (??) and the maximum exposure time is now 8 second (in line with the camera specifications - so this use of the mode was clearly intended).

With the flash enabled the camera auto focuses just as well as in any other mode. Keep the flash down and suddenly the camera won't focus lock at all. Please try this yourself (and others) .. I want further confirmation of this BUG.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is the source of a lot of other complaints.
dres is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2003, 4:00 PM   #2

Is the 5m minimum focussing distance relevant to your findings?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6112365
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2003, 3:37 PM   #3

With my FZ1 the 5m distance is important. At about 2m I obtain a focus lock at full wide only, but at 6m I obtain focus lock at any zoom setting. This refers to use of Night Portrait Mode with the flash down, in very low light, at ISO=100.
Karl Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 1:58 PM   #4

Dres,

Sorry, but could you explain this a little better. I think I know what your referring to, but I'm not sure. I've had generally very good, but occasionally inconsistent results with my FZ - 1.

The camera's weakness, (although I am very well pleased with it for the most part) would be low light interiors. They're just not so good after seven or eight feet. But using night portrait you can do some manipulation, (or so it seems to me)

Any more word on a firmware upgrade?

Dan
filmmaker1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 5:19 AM   #5

sorry for the slow reply. My initial tests were done at about 16 ft with full zoom.. it never occured to me that zoom might affect it. I've just done some more tests and it appears you people are right... it's only when your zoomed past about 50% that the fault appears... at wide angle in night portrait mode the focus locks regardless of whether the flash is up or not. Go to full zoom and the camera won't focus lock at all with the flash down (even in good light).... pop the flash up and now it focus locks (??)

Maybe this is a planned feature ??

Bob ?
Old Nov 5, 2003, 8:31 AM   #6

Default Re: FZ1 focusing problem - Attn Bob

[quote="dres"]I'm not going mad I've finally nailed it !

Dear Bob, I'm sure you can remember when I listed my FZ1 BUG's many months ago you'll recall I complained bitterly about the poor focus ability of the "night portrait" mode ... then I retracted the complaint later when I couldn't reproduce the fault ?
Well I've finally figured out why I can only sometimes see the fault .... it depends on whether the flash is up or not !!

To review this mode... I realise what it is intended for. Flash photography with a long exposure to bring up the background. With the flash up the maximum exposure time is 1 second with Fstop fixed at 2.8 However this mode is also usable with the flash down (ignore the message) then the Fstop is fixed at 6.5 (??)

Night portrait mode requires tha the flash is "up" - The on screen message tells you that. If the "problem" occurs only with the flash down than obviously it's related and the result of not following the recommended operating procedure.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 10:11 PM   #7

The manual for the FZ1 (page forty eight) states that you can take pictures in the Night Portrait Mode with the flash closed and that the camera will focus within the range of 16.4 feet to infinity. If it doesn't do that, then Panasonic needs to provide a remedy.
allkindacorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 6:01 AM   #8

Default Re: FZ1 focusing problem - Attn Bob

Quote:
Night portrait mode requires tha the flash is "up" - The on screen message tells you that. If the "problem" occurs only with the flash down than obviously it's related and the result of not following the recommended operating procedure.
Well why does panasonic's own website state on the specifications for the FZ1 that the maximum shutter time is 8 seconds ?? The ONLY way to achieve this is with in night portrait mode with the flash down ?!
Old Nov 6, 2003, 6:10 AM   #9

Default Website full of mistakes

Look I don't want to offend anyone... but perhaps it's no surprise that Bob doesn't even know what's in the manual... even the panasonic US site is full of Mistakes. Check this out:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...Model=DMC-FZ1S

Clearly parts of the page have been cut and pasted from the FZ10 specs since now the FZ1 specs include manual focusing and a manual mode !!! [LOL] Perhaps Bob could show me where those features are on my camera ?! [LOL]

Sorry Bob ... I couldn't resist. ;-)
Old Nov 6, 2003, 2:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by allkindacorn
The manual for the FZ1 (page forty eight) states that you can take pictures in the Night Portrait Mode with the flash closed and that the camera will focus within the range of 16.4 feet to infinity. If it doesn't do that, then Panasonic needs to provide a remedy.
Yes, assuming you have enough light.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote