Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 8, 2009, 9:18 AM   #1

Default Upgrade from FZ20 to FZ28?

Hi, I currently have a Panasonic FZ20 and have been happy with the picture quality over the last few years. Recently I've been looking around to see if there's anything newer. Seen losts of rave reviews for the FZ28, and I was wondering if anyone has replaced a FZ20 wtih one and if there is a noticeable difference in picture quaility. I know it's double the megapixals but I would not be sold just on that. What interests me about the FZ28 is a more wide angled lens, more zoom, better battery life and slightly smaller. Although slightly smaller might mean not as good to hold! So if anyone out there that has had\or have both could comment on the picture quality as I would be upset if I got the FZ28 and thought the pic quality was worse?

Cheers
Dave
Kelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2009, 2:28 PM   #2

Default Upgrade why?

Why upgrade if you are happy with the FZ20? The FZ20 is a fine camera even today. I bought the FZ20 about 3-4 years ago and added extra lenses, filters, and an external flash. The FZ28 has no hot shoe for an external flash, one reason I bought the FZ20. Unless you have a specific need that the FZ20 can't do I would stick with it. Use the money you were going to spend on the FZ28 for other camera gear like a good tripod, lenses, filters, external flash unit, or other gear. It's normal to want something newer. That's why so many people buy new cars every few years when their old car is just fine. Just my two cents.

Al
mebareit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 11:00 AM   #3

Cheers Al. I know what you mean as if there is no improvement in picture quaility it would all be a bit pointless. Maybe I should see what lens attachments I could get for the FZ20, might open a whole new world for me!
Old May 16, 2009, 11:20 AM   #4

The FZ20 holds its own very, very well and should still be used before going to another make in my opinion. I got into the upgrade redundancy mode early on and wished I had known what my needs were before my wants from a camera.

I would stick with the FZ20 and only get the FZ28 if I needed a replacement. The downside is there is no hotshoe. I know using a slave would be a workaround as I do that with my FZ1v2 but that's another story.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 3:10 PM   #5

I upgraded to V-LUX 1 (FZ50) and sold my FZ20. Now I wish I had kept it. I love my new V-LUX but wish I still had the FZ20 with it. I think the FZ20 did sunsets better than any camera I've had. They just had something more, somehow.
Old May 19, 2009, 1:18 AM   #6

I had an FZ20 and got some real good results with it over the years. For me, the best feature was not the hot shoe since I hardly use flash, but the 12x zoom f2.8 lens. That was one of a kind. However, The camera had its negatives and considering what's available today, it no longer holds its own. ISO was limited to 400 and the camera produced real noisy images above ISO 100. That's a huge limitation IMO. The lens started at 36mm, which is not wide at all by today's standard, the EVF was very inaccurate, the images had a bluish color cast (the recorded image was OK though) making it difficult to adjust exposure correctly, only 5 MP, low resolution movie clip, only 12x optical zoom, camera was bulkier and heavier than new models, battery consumption was very high compared to the new models, and the list goes on and on. Personally, although I think it was a great camera for its time, it is outdated (technologically speking) and there is no doubt in my mind that the FZ28 out performs the FZ20 in every respect. I do not regret having sold it.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 3:19 PM   #7

Your correct Tullio. FZ20 doesn't hold it's own in comparison with the newer FZ28 or FZ50 but being one of my favorite cameras I just miss it. If I still had it It would probably get very little use.
Old May 21, 2009, 3:29 AM   #8

Thanks for all your comments. It's given me something to think about!!
Old May 22, 2009, 9:32 PM   #9

I have had my FZ20 for almost 4 yrs, it still works fine. I have a few minor pet peeves and am seriously looking at the G1 or GH1 micro-four-thirds...

1) FZ20 only stops down to F8 -- I do a lot of macrophotography and depth of field is an issue
2) clock is local time & software predates the change in US daylight savings time switch; I have to futz around with the clock in the spring and fall or I'm 1hr off. Not a huge deal for most things, but I use my camera for lots of documentation + correlate it with GPS points, so 1hr off is just a pain for sources of error
3) eyepiece resolution is poor, hard to focus sometimes
4) focus ring isn't "real" (just an input device) and has no tactile/visual feedback of focal point distance other than the image itself (see previous point)
5) zoom control is through lever which is a bit touchy and zoom shown on display has wimpy resolution (only shows 1x, 2x, 3x, ... 12x, rather than 1x, 1.1x, 1.2x, 1.4x, 1.6x, ... 11x, 11.5x, 12x) -- if you are trying to repeat photographs it's a bit of a pain
6) a larger LCD display w/ swivel would be nice
7) I use the "exposure" button with "A" aperture mode a lot, and it's cumbersome to switch Fstops. I don't know why they didn't put exposure adjustment in the quick-menu settings with the 4-way button.
8) had to order a Phayee 62mm lens adapter from China to use add-on filters/closeup lenses. It's great and I haven't removed it since I bought it in Dec 2005 but it should have been part of the camera.
9) navigating a memory card with a LOT of pictures is a pain.

having said this, it's still a great camera and I'll keep on using it for quite a while. But I also have a DMC-FX35 I got last summer for wide-angle use, and Panasonic has addressed quite a few user interface issues since my FZ20: for #2 it now uses GMT time and a "home" and "away" clock settings so if you travel you can easily switch timezones; for #9 you can browse by date taken. They are also improving their image processing; the pics from my FX35 look spectacular for color handling.

You have to decide what's important for you. The cameras keep getting incrementally better, but in this feature space they're not hugely different than they were 3 or 4 years ago. It seems like the major improvements have been in megapixel count & i'm guessing image processing speed/power tradeoffs (faster image capture).
arghman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 9:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
only 12x optical zoom
heh. (amused) Sure I'll take 18x but 12x has been heaven.
arghman is offline   Reply With Quote