Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 13, 2009, 10:06 AM   #1

Default Where can I find ZS3 in B&M stores?

I can't seem to find any around me so that I can actually hold it and try it out. Even my local resellers aren't stocking it, and no big chains, either. I'm debating b/w this & the canon SX200, but leaning much more towards the panasonic. I'm a SAHM of 2 boys, one with autism with only a minimal (more than the average SAHM--lurk here, have taken 2 courses, etc.) knowledge of photography. So, as much as I have a desire to learn more about photography, I simply don't have the TIME. As I understand it, the canon's strength are the manual controls. As much as I think I'd be using this, the reality is that I wouldn't.

If no B &M recs, then what online stores have fabulous return policies should I decide it's not for me? TIA for any help or guidance.

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2009, 6:08 PM   #2

I'm not a Canon fan so I say get the ZS3 (I'm looking into buying one myself). IMO, Amazon is the best online retailer in terms of shipping speed and return policy. There are other good retailers (B&H, Adorama, Beachcamera, Abes of Maine) and some will have cheaper prices than Amazon. However, their return policy is not as good and some even charge s/h. So, if you can find the camera you are looking for on Amazon, buy it from them, specially if you are not sure whether you will keep the unit or not. They will issue a full refund (no re-stocking fees) and even pay for you to send it back to them.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 10:06 PM   #3

Amazon just has annonced that they will have ZS3 in stock since May 18 for $384.28.
FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 1:47 AM   #4

The ZS1 is another alternative, and www.amazon has them in stock.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 11:39 AM   #5

There are some differences between the S1 and S3 and they are not cosmetic ones. The S3 has better video capabilities, slightly bigger sensor (I don't know if the difference is really significant in terms of IQ, though) and slightly bigger LCD with double the resolution (this may be a big plus when shooting in bright daylight). All for bout $100 more. Is it worth it? Well, it depends on one's priorities. If recording video is important, than the S3 may be a better option. Otherwise, I think the S1 should work just fine.

Tullio
Old May 26, 2009, 12:50 PM   #6

Tullio-

I am going to give the ZS1 a try. I think it will make a great "carry it anwhere" camera with the minimum of bulk. I am still keeping my FZ-28 as well.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 27, 2009, 11:54 AM   #7

I thought about as well since it's significantly cheaper than the ZS3. Another option would be the TZ5, which is going for the same price as the ZS1 but it has all the features of the ZS3 (except the lens, which is 10x rather than 12x). Tough call!

Tullio
Old May 28, 2009, 10:57 AM   #8

One feature I liked on the zs3/tz7 was the dedicated button for video. With 2 young boys, this would be a feature I would use.
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 12:09 PM   #9

Indeed. However, just by looking at the ergonomics it seems like it would be easy to push the video button by mistake while holding the camera and start recording video w/o knowing/wanting it. That's a question for a ZS3 owner to answer!

Tullio
Old May 28, 2009, 8:48 PM   #10

Hi Tullio-
The ZS1 arrived today, and frankly I am very disappointed. This camera is very soft on the focus. It might make a good snapshot camera. But it definitely is not what I was hoping for at all. I just requested an RMA to return the camera.

Frankly, I sincerely believe that the FZ-28 is the better performer in the Panasonic line.

Sarah Joyce