Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 30, 2009, 3:34 PM   #1

Default Is the Panasonic TZ7 the best "camcorder" Digital camera?

Hi

Im after a compact digi cam, with great HD camcorder functions, with optical zoom.

I am a total auto man, leave it on auto and take pics, the stills I think will be fine for me, so Im after a really good camcorder function

I have a Mini DV camcorder but I never take it with me, and its to big.

So my thought now is to replace my current digi cam (Casio Exilim Z600), and get something like the TZ7 for my HD video and stills.

Ive done quite a bit hunting and the TZ7 looks to be the best, it must have optical zooming as this to me means its not a proper camcorder replacement (when I say this all I do is casual family trips/holidays/parties etc I am not a professional)

As Ive seen a few like the Canon SX200, but it doesnt do optical zooming on video, the Samsung WB550 is another one maybe, but doesnt seem to be as good? and a bit fatter than TZ7

Please can anyone comment/suggest on a camcorder alternative for me, as I say Im a casual user, so no DSLR etc.

cheers
MrMister111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2009, 7:19 PM   #2

well made the decision for myself! couldn't wait for answers from here!

I ordered the limited edition red version, not sure on it as never seen it in the flesh, hope its not too girly! or should I have played safe and went for the black version?

any comments?
Old May 30, 2009, 8:38 PM   #3

Hi MrMister111,

I've just "exchanged" my Sanyo Xacti HD700 for Lumix ZS3 (it's the same like TX7).
After 2 days it looks MUCH-MUCH better than Sanyo and I'm just happy.

FZKAP
FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 9:24 PM   #4

Just ordered this myself, should get it wed.--am really excited, but apprehensive, as it wasn't available locally for me to try out. Do you already have an appropriate memory card?
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 11:01 PM   #5

I think you'll be hard pressed to find a reasonably priced digital camera that is better suited for taking video than the TZ7/ZS3. I just got mine yesterday, and I'm loving it so far. I took a bunch of videos today and watched them on my 60" Pioneer plasma. I have to say, I was pretty impressed. Obviously, it doesn't look as good as my dedicated Sony HD video camera, but it looks good enough that I'll probably think twice before schlepping both pieces of equipment along in the future.

Be aware that certain memory cards are incompatible with the ZS3. See this thread for more details:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...sonic-zs3.html
gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 6:29 AM   #6

Yeh I know I wont get as good as a dedicated camcorder but I wanted one as close to as possible. I am oot carrying around my dv camcorder anymore so is a good stop gap. I read about the mempy card problems and have ordered a 8Gb kingston class 6. I also have a micro sd 8Gb class 4 with full size adapter. I ordered red but havent seen it apart from pics not sure if I should have got black yet. What colours have you ordered? And how much? I paid 260 with a work discount. Cheers
Old May 31, 2009, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post

What colours have you ordered? And how much? I paid 260 with a work discount.
I have the black one. I almost went with blue, but I decided to play it safe at the last minute. All of my previous cameras have been silver, so black is still somewhat of a departure for me. I purchased it from a local store for $348 which is about 215 at the current exchange rate.
Old May 31, 2009, 3:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Is the Panasonic TZ7 the best "camcorder" Digital camera?
Yes, at the moment TZ7 is the best "camcorder" Digital camera it is even better than most of the miniDV camcorders.
primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I have the black one. I almost went with blue, but I decided to play it safe at the last minute. All of my previous cameras have been silver, so black is still somewhat of a departure for me. I purchased it from a local store for $348 which is about 215 at the current exchange rate.
Wow thats cheap for it!! Mine was with a hefty discount too of 85,

I dont think Red is available in US, I liked the blue but cant get it in UK, as you say my cameras all been silver, was defo going for black but then the limited edition red came up, never seen it in the flesh but it looks cool, so thought go for it.

Hope it doesnt look too "girly" for me a man though?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a reasonably priced digital camera that is better suited for taking video than the TZ7/ZS3. I just got mine yesterday, and I'm loving it so far. I took a bunch of videos today and watched them on my 60" Pioneer plasma. I have to say, I was pretty impressed. Obviously, it doesn't look as good as my dedicated Sony HD video camera, but it looks good enough that I'll probably think twice before schlepping both pieces of equipment along in the future.

Be aware that certain memory cards are incompatible with the ZS3. See this thread for more details:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...sonic-zs3.html
I read up a bit on the memory cards and have ordered a 8Gb Kingston Class 6 are these ok? I also have a Micro SD (with adapter) 8Gb Sandisk Class 4 one which I use in my mobile but will take it when I go on summer holiday for 2 weeks for HD video - will this be ok?

I now want a case, few on Ebay but usure of exact fits, can anyone who has a TZ7/ZS3 confirm with link about cases for it please, seems to be no official ones, but few on Ebay and stuff

cheers

Last edited by MrMister111; Jun 1, 2009 at 8:14 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:39 PM   #10

Quote:

I read up a bit on the memory cards and have ordered a 8Gb Kingston Class 6 are these ok? I also have a Micro SD (with adapter) 8Gb Sandisk Class 4 one which I use in my mobile but will take it when I go on summer holiday for 2 weeks for HD video - will this be ok?
I think the Kingston should be fine. You also shouldn't have any problem taking video with a good Class 4 card. I've been shooting a lot of HD with a 16GB Sandisk Ultra II card (15 MB/s). The resulting video is smooth and artifact free.

Quote:

I now want a case, few on Ebay, but unsure of exact fit ...
Here in the States, there is currently a mail-in offer for a free case and a 4GB memory card with the purchase of a TZ7. I'm anxious to get a case, but I might as well wait and see what kind of case Panasonic is going to send me before spending money on one. Then again, these mail-in offers can sometimes take months to come through.