Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 9, 2009, 2:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaqowner View Post
There might not be a replacement.
It wouldn't surprise me if they were to drop the whole superzoom range and just concentrate on their smaller compacts like the ZS3 and the newish G1/GH1 models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Are you kidding? Panasonic has built some of the best super zoom cameras out there. I very much doubt they will get out of that market in favor of the DSLR. They have not been that successful on the DSLR segment.
Well, the G1/GH1 are not DSLRs, and in fact the G1/GH1 have been very succesfull. They are micro 4/3 interchangeable lens cameras.
It's true, however, that their traditional DSLRs have never taken a major portion of the market.

I suppose it's possible they may ditch superzoom cameras in favor of G1/GH1, but the equivalent zoom power would end up being a much bigger package, something consumers after a superzoom won't want.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2009, 2:38 AM   #12

I found the FZ28 in stock at a local Cameras West retail store (part of Ritz Camera), yesterday. The salesperson said they had heard nothing about the unit being discontinued, and they had plenty of stock. Of course, they're selling it at full list price of $399. However, right now, that's considerably lower than the average online price these days - at least where it is shown in stock. Curiously, if you go to Panasonic's site, the FZ28 is listed among the '...new 2009 LUMIX digital cameras'. I personally wouldn't mind if they didn't come out with a new model, as the FZ28 seems about perfect for me. I'm just kicking myself for not buying it six months ago when it was well under $300. But, this $30-200 over list price nonsense has just got to stop! You'd think it was the latest and greatest hybrid car or something...

I'll still buy it at $399, as I haven't found anything I like better at a lower price. I was tempted by the Kodak Z980, but it's just seeming to have too many drawbacks for only about $50 less than the FZ28.

Last edited by aaroncgi; Jul 30, 2009 at 12:31 AM.
aaroncgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 6:33 PM   #13

Well, the question's been answered!!!!!

The new FZ35!!!

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/pa...9_fz35_pr.html
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 7:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
Well, the question's been answered!!!!!

The new FZ35!!!

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/pa...9_fz35_pr.html

CAN'T WAIT...
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 9:56 PM   #15

Not much of an upgrade IMO, but at least the price is right. I'm disappointed by the 18x zoom lens. Considering that many other brands have models with longer reach lenses, I was hoping Panasonic would go to 24x. At least the price is right. I'm keeping my FZ28 for at least another year.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 8:38 AM   #16

I agree a bigger zoom would be nice but if they did they would need to upgrade the image stabilizer as I am sure it couldn't cope with the long end of the zoom at around 660mm. A lot of picture I have seen taken with the top end of a 18x zoom, on this and other cameras, are a litle unsharp mainly due to camera shake and adding another 6x would only make things worse. Most people don't even know the rule of thumb which says that the shutter speed should be at least the reciprocal of the focal length used (i.e 1/500s for a 500mm lens). IS allows a slower shutter speed but this depend on how steady the operator can hold the camera in the first place. A large percentage of camera users never take them of fully Auto mode the camera compensates for the slow shutter speeds by pushing up the iso therefore adding a more noise to the image.

What I would have like is a very usable 400iso setting maybe matching my first DSLR I bought several years ago. With the advance in the sensors used and a slightly larger chip this should be possible.
Pixmate700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 6:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixmate700 View Post
I agree a bigger zoom would be nice but if they did they would need to upgrade the image stabilizer as I am sure it couldn't cope with the long end of the zoom at around 660mm. A lot of picture I have seen taken with the top end of a 18x zoom, on this and other cameras, are a litle unsharp mainly due to camera shake and adding another 6x would only make things worse.
Actually, Panasonic did upgrade the image stabilizer for the FZ35/FZ38. The new camera features Power O.I.S., which is said to almost double the stabilizing effect over the MEGA O.I.S. in the FZ28. If this is true, and early reports suggest that it is, it wouldn't seem a stretch at all to have extended the zoom into the 24-26X range. Still, I don't really see that as necessary, especially if doing so would degrade the image quality. 24X only gets you what, 33% closer than 18X?

I went from a 3.1MP 8X optical zoom camera (not stabilized) to the FZ28. Now that's a noticeable change in zoom range and performance!
aaroncgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:27 AM   #18

The biggest problem with long zoom lenses is not related to the IS system but IQ and noise (due to the small sensor). Most 20-24x cameras show obvious signs of image softness and distortion. Panasonic has been able to avoid these two symptoms with its 18x Leica lens. I think they won't move up until they actually have a product that can produce comparable results to the FZ28.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote